Which DMT diamond stone grits to go for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting into more expensive territory with a Shapton 8k ceramic stone (50ish quid?). You can get an equivalent or go even finer for far less outlay.

15k is approximately equivalent to 0.5 micron. Three inexpensive options for something in that realm are stropping compound, metal polish and diamond paste.

Stropping compound or metal polish, £5-10. Strop should be free or nearly so.

Diamond paste <£5 and that's for a full set of 8 or 12 tubes, you're only buying for the 1 or 0.5 micron but it gives you loads of grits to play around with in future. Surface here may cost a bit but not too much, and again free or nearly so if you use wood or MDF.

outcycling":vu3f4pr3 said:
Shapton 8000 looks good and certainly cheaper than the xxf dmt stones. I might order one thanks. Given it’s such a fine grit and you are only using it for a final few pull strokes do you find you need to level it much?

Errr, yes and there's not that much thickness of material either which is a bit of a worry. It does put a mirror finish on bloody quick but how long it will last I just don't know. Again I got a proper good deal - try and remember the site, was US based and not a wood working one either.

outcycling":5mmvcr6z said:
Shapton 8000 looks good and certainly cheaper than the xxf dmt stones. I might order one thanks. Given it’s such a fine grit and you are only using it for a final few pull strokes do you find you need to level it much?

If you are looking for a polishing stone that is around 8000 grit and does not require levelling (surely this is the reason most use a diamond stone), then have a look at the Spyderco 'Ultra Fine'. This is a ceramic stone that is hard like an oil stone. It cuts everything, in the same way as a diamond stone. Plus it is relatively inexpensive.

The downside is that it is likely to need a little flattening first, which requires a diamond stone (I used 250 grit and then a 600 grit Easy-Laps). I do mean little. However, because the stones are so hard, a little will take 15 minutes. However, once done, you may never need to flatten it again. I check mine avery few months. While they may be used dry, I would never do this with any sharpening media as the swarf must go somewhat. A little soapy water is good.

I have the Medium and the Ultra Fine. These are about 3000 grit and 8000 grit, respectively. Some estimate the UF is possibly 10000 grit - Spyderco do not offer specifications.

Note that the stones I use are 2" wide x 8" long. They are designed for knife sharpeners, not woodworkers with honing guides. That is fine for me. There is a 3" wide UF, I believe. Google is your friend.

Regards from Perth

Derek

SammyQ":2ql9k9i5 said:
"nM" :D :D Sure? 1000 millionths of metre? Gotta love typos!!! :D :D
Sam the Pedant....

Nautical miles. 250 nM is how far we have moved in the last 24 hrs or far away I am from strangling the next person to slam their cabin door.

Latest posts

Back