2 new nat stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
The 2 new water stones I ordered arrived; a German MST MULLER 8000 grit (with matching slurry stone), and a Chinese GUANGXI 12000 grit (also with matching slurry stone). The Chinese stone was flattened using 180grit wet and dry, the top surface of the German stone was spot on out of the box, German quality is hard to beat. The end and side grain strata of each stone, including the smaller slurry stones, were then sealed with 4 coats of Garnet Shellac, before being glue mounted to 12mm laminated glass plate. The attached photo also shows the Japanese AOTO NAKATO 2000 -3000 grit I previously prepped into service. The Chinese stone has the harder surface of all 3 stones. Surprisingly, it took little effort to work up a nice chalky coloured honing slurry on this stone. That's good news.

Stewie;

L-R Norton Crystolon Oilstone (medium grit); Water Stones - Aoto Nakato (2000-3000 grit); MST Muller (8000 grit); Chinese Guangxi (12000 grit).

40 degree bed / 1 degree skew; Smoothing Plane.

Working reverse grain.

Stewie;

Nice looking plane and shavings Stewie! I have the Guangxi stone but it is a grey colour, hard as a ceramic and very slow cutting. How do you find the MST stone?

Hi essexalan; I was quite impressed with the performance of the Guangxi stone. After the Muller stone, I was able to work the cutting edge to a mirror finish after a dozen strokes.

Both of these stones do require some pre work with their mated slurry stones to reach their full potential.

Stewie;

Back