Nailer/Compressor setup?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Can anyone please advise me on a decent nailer/compressor setup that will allow me to build me storage shed which is going to be 6.2 x 1.8m out of 3x2 CSL and treated 12mm shiplap with poly lining and shuttering ply interior wall with a fiberglass covered ply roof.
I would prefer to use stainless nails to avoid rusting but don't understand the guage system.
I need a nailer that will cope with the larger nails for the framing (size??) as well as the smaller size for the shiplap; will I need two guns or will one do both?
Regards
Martin

:D might be worth looking at hiring one then they can show you the size of nails you can use. I have a nail gun that will take 50MM galvanized steel brads at about 1-2 mm with a compressor to match if you want to borrow it.

Martyn

Martin,

Each gun is usually designed to fit a specific gauge of nail. I would assume a framing nailer for the CLS, fires a 3.1 mm diameter nail and a finish nailer (15 gauge or 1.8 mm diameter) for the cladding.

Most hire shops don't do compressed air nailers for hire but do do the paslode gas based guns.

I've only ever seen galvanised nails for nail guns, not sure if they do stainless.

Gav

Martin

I bought a SIP compressor and 3 DeWalt guns some time ago. They were all for specific jobs which would have taken me ages and ages if I did not have the nailers. Nevertheless I regarded them as a luxury BUT over time I have used them very often and in my terms they have paid for themselves. Like you, my next job will be a Workshop and various garden sheds. The compressor is also useful for any other air tools and keeping your tyres up to pressure. I would not skimp on the H.P. or capacity of the compressor - they are actually relatively cheap.
I have not looked into stainless steel - what I have in the house at the moment range from 30mm brads to 90mm nails all galvanized.

I have not really found the compressor & hose to be too cumbersome and if I am out of reach of electricity I strap it into my lawn tractor trailer and just return for charging occasionally. Of course you will get more hits per tankful with brads than the bigger nails.

David

This subject was on here a little while ago and some said have a look at Mahince mart as they are doing a good deal on one with a gun.
I hope this helps

Thanks for all that guys, I can see that I'll have to go into this a bit more.

Martyn2, very kind offer mate! They might be a bit short at 50mm for 3x2 though.
I had not realised you could get galvanised nails which will be fine.
Does the team think the guns from Axminster are up to snuff?
Regards
Martin

have to say that i have found the ace&k guns very good.
relatively simple, and reliable, and with that i have an sip compressor.
works well for me.
as others have said, they are sort of a luxury, but you do find other
uses for them, and the compressor is great for cleaning the dust
of the backs of your various machines.

paul :wink:

Just a idea how about a cheap compressor say aldi etc, a axminster gun (best with auto oiler) so max 50mm 18 gauge good for some of the build and most work after then hire in for framing and cladding actually the cladding could be done with a additional larger gun but not quite so fast.

Stainless nails are available for treated timbers such as decking.

Go for a gun which will fire 70 to 100mm nails (these guns will generally do down to 40mm) and look for a gun which will take full head nails as opposed to clipped head. You get less pull-out with the full head nails. All the nails should be ring annular types. Personally I wouldn't use anything smaller than 15 gauge on external construction - 18g is very thin wire and will corrode away in no time, especially with treated timbers.

As for compressors I've run a girt great deWalt gun off a puny B&Q portable compressor - what you need is something that has a reservour tank on it to makeup for the pump getting a bit breathless

Scrit

Back