My next creation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jockstrop":w3yb5atj said:
I really fancy having a go at the segmented work, they really are good
JimK
Have a go JimK. I know it sounds sad but that's all I think about these days.......What pattern next :roll:
I noticed there's an axminster tools opened in cardiff mate. Called in there on sunday and got a bit carried away. What a shop.

Got there in the end. I really like this one....It's 305mm x 175mm. I managed to get it 10mm wall thickness all the way down. I wanted to go thinner but with me turning a bit one day and going back to it the next the shape was moving slightly so didn't chance it. It's made from sapele and Iroko. I don't think I'll turn Iroko again...... Not very nice stuff at all to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 888
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 888
I fancied doing a swirl bowl next so set about gluing up some boards ready to cut the rings.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 887
Well it turned out to be my sharpening technique. After doing a search on here I found out I was doing it all wrong. Lol. Lathe is doing my head in though..... Need to start saving for a new one with nice easy adjusters and locks. Any sugestions as to the best lathe to get for bowl turning around the £2000 mark?

Attachments

• IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 805
  • IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 805
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 805
I had some ash and walnut kicking around so glued it up and made a pen pot.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 693
got carried away with this........

Attachments

• IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 863
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 863
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 863
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 863
Stupid question time. How do you clamp the hexagonal or octagonal pieces together? Is it 2 pieces at a time and then join 2 to make 4 or do you have some form of banding clamp that goes around all 8 parts at once?

Just personal preference, but I like the later two best.
The swirl is a bit busy for me but the thinner wall thickness achieved and the subsequent lighter look to the whole sits better for me.
The simpler pen pot looks elegant in its own simple way, to me more a case of design than 'look what I can do'.

When clamping up your rings, don't know if you have more than one chuck, if you have consider taking Chuck and assembly off the lathe and use the chuck weight to aid clamping and allows you to work on other pieces.

delaney001":376bixa3 said:
Stupid question time. How do you clamp the hexagonal or octagonal pieces together? Is it 2 pieces at a time and then join 2 to make 4 or do you have some form of banding clamp that goes around all 8 parts at once?
Yes just clamp two together at a time and so on.

Just read the entire thread from start to finish. Wowsers, your work and work in progress photos are amazing !!!! Thanks for sharing.

Coley

CHJ":130o68lt said:
Just personal preference, but I like the later two best.
The swirl is a bit busy for me but the thinner wall thickness achieved and the subsequent lighter look to the whole sits better for me.
The simpler pen pot look elegant in its own simple way, to me more a case of design than 'look what I can do'.

When clamping up your rings, don't know if you have more than one chuck, if you have consider taking Chuck and assembly off the lathe and use the chuck weight to aid clamping and allows you to work on other pieces.
Only have one chuck Chas but I have made a disc with a load of marked diameter rings on so I can use the lathe to centre and clamp the rings. On my next one I'm going to try gluing and turning each section or ring. It will make it easier I think on my small lathe.

I totally agree with you on the lighter coloured bowl. It also catches the light better.

ColeyS1":2w71igcf said:
Just read the entire thread from start to finish. Wowsers, your work and work in progress photos are amazing !!!! Thanks for sharing.

Coley
Thanks Coley. I'll keep them coming then. Lol

After going to the weekend of wood show wales I thought I'd have a go at colouring. Only a small bowl 4 1/2" x 2 1/2". Used black, red and orange colour dyes.

Attachments

• IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 697
Back