My New workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
:D
I started ripping down an old outbuilding today and my plan for a new workshop is nearly finished. :D

Hi folks! Is this the right forum to post pics of my new workshop?

My second question is this.
I was going to have a low block wall which would be rendered then a stud wall up to wall plate then truss roof and topped off with clay tiles .

As I'm useless at brick/block laying I thought i could build the whole thing in timber but face the bottom meter with some sort of sheet which could be rendered? is there such a thing? i'm thinking some sort of "Non" asbestos sheet!
I'm lining the insides with OSB and possibly plasterboard on that.

any thoughts will be appreciated :)

Mike

Mike, you do understand that we will require pictures?
Seriously, make sure you give us all good WIP reports as and when.

Cheers

Noel

The bottom metre could be stud wall covered with 3/4 marine ply on the outside, then covered with expanded metal, then rendered with a mortar mix of 4 parts grit sand to 1 part Portland cement, just make sure that the rendering is applied with a scratch coat first and then a top coat, this will ensure that there is a good bond.

I done that recently, I took out a large sliding patio door, it was a big one 8 ft wide by 7ft 6ins high, I did this to replace the bottom 2ft 6 ins before I replaced the windows, the studding was made up of 9 x 3's that I salvaged from a demolition site, I put drywall on the inside and skim coated it, with Carlite board finish.

Hope this helps

mikepooley":ie3hfzvq said:
er whats a WIP report ? :oops:

shows i'm new here :lol:

Mike

Work In Progress - like a photographic diary (check out the other "workshop build" threads,if you haven't already)

Good luck with it - looking forward to the pictures :D

Andrew

Ordinary WBP ply gets called 'marine ply' a lot in the building trade. WBP ply would be fine.

Jake":16a9jhbw said:
Ordinary WBP ply gets called 'marine ply' a lot in the building trade. WBP ply would be fine.

Thank I will check out the price! I'm assuming 18mm?

Mike

Yes, 18mm would be fine. It's about £24-£26 for an 8x2 in Wickes/B&Q, etc, in London at least.

Jake":1eliawxy said:
Yes, 18mm would be fine. It's about £24-£26 for an 8x2 in Wickes/B&Q, etc, in London at least.

Try Travis Perkins for this product. I have found they are cheaper than B&Q.

Shultzy":2vffut6o said:
Why do you want to render the bottom 1m? If you are going to render, make sure you overlap the cladding over to stop any water getting behind the render.

I dont realy! but my wife doesnt like the look of a completely shiplapped
building!! :( she wants it to blend in to the local (Norfolk) outbuildings

Back