My names Neil, I'm a woodturner.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Webster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Some of you may know me, some of you may not. After what has been a very dark and difficult year for me I have finally got myself back together and I am starting to work properly again. I realise now I had a mental breakdown which was very much compounded by me isolating myself from everyone including the woodturning world which I love. Hence this message. I don’t want to hide no more! My blog will be getting going properly over the next few days - www.neilwebster.blogspot.com - where you will see I am fortunate enough to have the support for my work now from two arts organisations - yes I’ve been given another grant based on my potential to create some work. So folks, I need your help. I will participate on this forum, I’m on FaceBook please look for me and I have my blog. For my own sanity and that of my family I can’t get isolated again. I would like to get in touch with all my fellow woodturners again, make some new friends and once more be apart of this fantastic community of woodturners. I know some will scoff at what I am doing and may well laugh at me , so be it. I will hide no more.

Hi Neil,

Welcome to a fine forum and looking forward to your contribution.

I have a feeling that your not the only one who's had a mental breakdown, it happens in men more often than we care to admit so if joining these forums helps you on your journey then welcome aboard.

Aw the best,

Lee.

Welcome Neil. Look forward to seeing your work, don't worry, al sorts on here from novice to expert, crazy to conventional so you are bound to fit in somewhere :lol:

Pete

EDIT: Just had a look at your blog. The seed pod is really good, if that is an example of your work you certainly aren't a novice

Bodrighy":1fxz3nxf said:
Just had a look at your blog. The seed pod is really good, if that is an example of your work you certainly aren't a novice

Wow, that seed pod is something very special indeed. Amazing work and concept.

Look forwards to seeing more of your work Neil, and any wip pics very welcome too of course.

Cheers, Paul :D

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to both sharing my new work with you and getting your thoughts and opinions.

Neil

Welcome to the forum Neil, your seed pod is amazing as others have said. Quite exquisite! All I can say is WOW! :D

cheers
HM

Hi Neil

Glad your in here it is a good forum with lots of sensible people, except me of course. :D :D

Glad your back to it, get out there and grab them by the balls mate.

Hi Neil,

Welcome back to normal living. I too had a mental breakdown whilst living abroad, followed by a relatively minor stroke. Lost interest in everything until returning to the UK & going back to work for my old employer, even though I was 65 at the time. It was the best thing I ever did, getting some colleagues & friends again, so you'll be fine here, they are a good bunch on here, & I'm only really a newbie. I still don't have the confidence to do any major woodturning like I used to do, so can't make the contribution I would like. Just sticking to mini lathes & turning at the moment. Good luck Neil, you'll find friends on here!

Cheers guys,
All this positivity is great, many thanks. Right going out to sort out the workshop will post some pictures latter so you guys can see my base and I know how much we love to look at each others workshops. Posted my initial message on a couple of forums - woodworkers institute etc - and will put it up on AWGB site now I've an active account. This seems like the most lively forum though by far. Is that what you guys do flit between forums?

Cheers,
Neil

Hi Neil,

I use this as my main wood turning forum and I have found it to be an excellent place to be, great advice, very active contributors, no heirarchy, everyone is very welcoming, generally happy and not to mention some very fine woodturning indeed.

I was also kindly invited by George Foweraker to be amember on world of woodturning, another great site but I still prefer this one :lol:

I too had a mental health breakdown 2 years ago and a further episode last November when my Dad died, and I have to say that since February this year I have had so much fun turning and especially being part of this community.

Aw the best m8,

Lee.

Back