My first woodworking attempt WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first attempt at anything resembling joinery/cabinetmaking. It is the first of many kitchen frames and doors. The door is not shut as I haven't installed roller catches yet and I have a problem to resolve with regard to the screws to the flush hinges not sitting flush in the countersinks!
kitchen march 2011 006.jpg

It has been taken with a flash so looks a bit yellow!!

Attachments

• kitchen march 2011 006.jpg
    kitchen march 2011 006.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,493
Looks really good, my only niggle is the drawer looks a bit gappy(this might be because I can see light showing though), and the mitres on your beads don't quite meet. Other than these two little things, overall I think you have done a nice job, and the rest of the kitchen will look stunning.

Yes, the drawer looks worse cos the flash picks out the metal straps, the gap is less than 2mm, but still not ideal!

The mitres were a problem due to having a cr*p blade in my CMS so it was chipping the corners (I think cos the mitred beads are only 6mm and a bit fragile). I have a new 40 tooth blade on order from cutting solutions! It took me ages to get the beads routed right, for various reasons, so didn't want to start again. That's why I used them.

I want an 'old fashioned' hand made look, so the faults actually help with this look, but I will iron out the faults (I know what I'm doing more now!)

This door is being put in the utility room so won't detract from the rest in the kitchen.

I did this first one the wrong way around, ie I made the door and drawer front first and made the frame to match, mainly because I was keen to get to grips with how to make them. On the rest I shall make the frames first and then the doors and drawers to fit! I will also make the drawers slightly narrower as it looks too big in comparison to the door.

Pond":2x9rbixg said:
The mitres were a problem due to having a cr*p blade in my CMS so it was chipping the corners (I think cos the mitred beads are only 6mm and a bit fragile). I have a new 40 tooth blade on order from cutting solutions! It took me ages to get the beads routed right, for various reasons, so didn't want to start again. That's why I used them.

With regard to the beads, some times a zero tolerance fence helps.

Very adventurous. Not sure my first project would be fine cabinetry.

Good work

M

Markymark":3hnpk4d4 said:
Very adventurous. Not sure my first project would be fine cabinetry.
M

In for a penny, in for a pound! That's my motto :lol:

You think that's ambitious; I'm intending to make two welsh dressers to match too! :?

23 cu ft of 'light character' grade oak from Sykes' delivered this morning, seems excellent quality.

I have now sorted the beading mitre issue, thanks to a new (better quality and more teeth) cross cut saw blade.

I have found a huge packet of upvc glazing shims in the workshop, so will use the 1mm ones to gap the false drawers from now on; also will attach them with timber straps, not metal, as am not happy with these (make it look too 'bought').

Over the weekend I installed most of the 27 carcasses in the kitchen, so I now have something to build to.

Next job is levelling the floor to take new tiles!!

Back