My first trip to the round side

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
Well its actually my second as I once turned a pair of handles on my drill. But I don't think that counts.

I borrowed an old Nu-tool lathe which was a very sturdy bit of green kit. I chopped off a bit of walnut from our recently felled walnut tree and copied PaulM's design to make this:

DSC_0712.jpg

PaulM's was much better, his was all smooth lovely. But this one was very well received as a Christmas gift.

Back to square things now for me!

Very pronounced porcine personality, sorry you are not going to continue with the spinny trend, thought you might at least have branched out and produced some little ones to litter up the place a bit more.

lol.

Will defo come back to spinny things at some point. I've been offered the lathe to buy. I just don't really know anything about turning, for instance I got quite a rough finish from the tool. Whats that down to? I was using a skew mostly after initially taking of the bark with a large gouge. The wood was cut about 5 months ago I think but has been laying outside since, is that good or bad? Was it to wet or to dry? When your cutting what angle should the blade be to the wood? It seemed to cut quite slowly as well, the few videos I've seen they tear through the wood at speed. Tools may have been a bit dull but as they weren't mind I didn't want to attempt sharpening and ruin them.

PS. If any of you are near Northampton and want to buy some walnut, I have a whole tree of it!

Back