My first REAL project - labour of love, literally...!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WiZeR":12mlrtwd said:
Gary would it be rude to ask costings? Wood mainly

Yes, I am mortally offended. :wink:

Costings is a tricky one, because I bought the timber as part of a bigger order (I didn't just buy the timber I needed for the cot). There was a reasonable amount of waste since I had to machine down the oak for the slats at the side and the 'tongue and groove' pieces at the ends.

At a stab I would estimate about £125 worth of timber (based on my total order). Then all it cost was a few pounds for the cross dowel and cross dowel bolts from Screwfix and some Rustins Danish Oil.

Hadn't used the cross dowels or danish oil before - very impressed with both! :lol:

Dave S":12mlrtwd said:
Gary S":12mlrtwd said:
Either that or my daughter will grow up hating it and use it for firewood :shock: :shock:

No, no! As one who makes things yourself, you'll treasure all the more the scribbles she does for you, then the pictures she draws, the cards she makes for you.....and she'll grow up to love and treasure all that you make for her.
And it gets better - by the time you make her first bed, she'll be old enough to tell you what she thinks. As Tony says, it's a pleasure that can't be bought.

Back to the cot......very nice indeed :)

Dave (getting nostalgic....)

You're right, Dave, the firewood thing was a bit tongue in cheek...! I plan to make her a bed when she's old enough, and with any luck she'll show some interest in what Daddy does in the garage (if I can get her on my side it would be great - "No, Mummy, Daddy really needs that new £500 tool"). 8)

Spot on Gary.

I wanted to do this for my daughter (she's 2 now), but moving house 1 month before she was due meant my workshop wasn't ready. We ended up buying one from a well know baby furniture retailer and it is rubbish. Not to mention, it wasn’t cheap.

She’s moving to a bigger room soon and I’m going to make her first proper bed to make up for it.

Well done. It looks fantastic.

Jon

Gary S":1pje4nvm said:
You're right, Dave, the firewood thing was a bit tongue in cheek...! I plan to make her a bed when she's old enough, and with any luck she'll show some interest in what Daddy does in the garage (if I can get her on my side it would be great - "No, Mummy, Daddy really needs that new £500 tool"). 8)

Hee, hee - you've got the idea! :D When she's old enough you can do things like this.

Hopefully this weekend we will make a start on some hanging planters for the garden. She's already growing the plants that she'll put in them. I think that, not only is it great for kids to get involved in a hobby like this, but it means that persuing my own hobby doesn't have to preclude me from spending time with the family. :)

Dave

Dave S":1f21d1qi said:
Hee, hee - you've got the idea! :D When she's old enough you can do things like this.

Hopefully this weekend we will make a start on some hanging planters for the garden. She's already growing the plants that she'll put in them. I think that, not only is it great for kids to get involved in a hobby like this, but it means that persuing my own hobby doesn't have to preclude me from spending time with the family. :)

Dave

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about!! I haven't been able to persuade SWMBO to get excited about woodwork so maybe I'll have more luck with my daughter...

In 20 years time she'll be a 'Celebrity Woodworker' (yes, there will be such things - who'd have thought 20 years ago that there would be 'Celebrity Chefs' now!) with her own TV show - special guest appearances from Norm now and again.

Now whoever said Parents can have unreasonable aspirations and expectations for their children... :roll: :roll:

Dave S":3hogs48j said:
Gary S":3hogs48j said:
Either that or my daughter will grow up hating it and use it for firewood :shock: :shock:

No, no! As one who makes things yourself, you'll treasure all the more the scribbles she does for you, then the pictures she draws, the cards she makes for you.....and she'll grow up to love and treasure all that you make for her.
And it gets better - by the time you make her first bed, she'll be old enough to tell you what she thinks. As Tony says, it's a pleasure that can't be bought.

Back to the cot......very nice indeed :)

Dave (getting nostalgic....)

Dave - I have all the school reports for my two and all their scribbles (they are both now at uni) 'specially my daughters 'rants' that were shoved under our bedroom door on a weekend morning. They make hilarious reading and now fill a complete box file - Rob

woodbloke":1c04q1wi said:
'specially my daughters 'rants' that were shoved under our bedroom door on a weekend morning.

Oh, so we're not the only ones then!!! :roll:

Dave

Hi Gary,

Indeed a wonderful piece of work! Could you perhaps post some more details regarding measurements (lenght, width, height etc.)? You mentioned a compliance with safety standards for cots. I am not familiar with that, yet, so would we grateful if you could help a little here.

Regards
Philipp

Back