My first go on the lathe...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedonutman

Established Member
Reaction score
Produced this:

pen19262315.jpg

Turns out it wasn't tight enough without the brass tubes and it wouldn't spin with the mandrel, making it very hard to turn. So I glued some tubes in, trimmed them and produced this:

Stupidly I tried to test fit all the parts without putting any finish on the pen or even fine sanding it and now I can't take it apart again! Ah well, lesson learned! I didn't want to use the nice pen blanks I had so I used a bit of Sapele from some guitar offcuts. I think it must need grain filling or something.

pen9216593.jpg

Well done TDM, its good to have made something, keep it, it will be good to look back on later :D
Make sure you finish the next one(sanding/some sort of finish), keep it up 8)

JT

Hi,

f you want to practise turning on the mandrel, you need to drill a hole that matches the diameter of the mandrel, not the brass tube.

You can buy a pen dissembler that will allow you to get the thing apart again, its on my list of things to buy.

I sand my pens with 120, 180, 240, 360, 600 and 1200 abrasive paper and then finish with the fine (grey) webrax, before putting the finish on. Very sharp tools help, I found this harder than turning until I bought some jigs.

If that is the first thing you have turned then you have done very well.

Pretty impressive first turning if you ask me. Should be seeing some good things coming out of your workshop soon by the look of it.

pete

If this keeps up we'll have to have a separate forum for pens (joking)
Well done TDM it's pretty good for a first time on a lathe.
I think the next lesson to be learned will be patience

John .B

Looks like your off to a great start Donut,
practise, practise, practise is the only
advice i can give you. :wink:

John. B":2aigtgd1 said:
If this keeps up we'll have to have a separate forum for pens (joking)
Well done TDM it's pretty good for a first time on a lathe.
I think the next lesson to be learned will be patience

John .B

Some of the forums do and I think that there is at leasts sone totally dedicated to pens.

Pete

I made another pen today and it came out much better this time. I also tried to do a bowl with some offcuts of Sapele I had. The outside seemed easy enough to do but when it came to the inside the bowl gouge kept "catching" on the wood as I cut and it was rather scary. Am I doing something horribly wrong and dangerous? How should the bowl gouge be orientated and moving to stop this?

reminds me of my 1st bowl

i wonder if the dent is still in the (cheep plaster) wall in my old school hehe

its pretty good for a 1st go, and lets face it, you can only get better in time :)

I think I'm getting slightly better at this.

pens1566361.jpg

The one on the left is some mystery wood I got with the Rutlands kit and the one on the right is "Wanx River Rosewood" that I got from craft supplies today. I also picked up some Bocote and Padauk which I've yet to use.

I have a feeling the Bocote will totally knacker my tools, need to get a sharpening setup......

Back