My first attempt at woodworking.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianfbaker

Reaction score
IMG_20221218_124445.jpg
I still have to paint it and put the doors on the bottom parts of the cupboards. I was quoted £2000 to build it which I thought it was fair considering the work involved, but I couldn't afford it so decided to have a go myself. I purchased a einhell tracksaw, a jig for dowles and a jig to screw at an angle (can't remember what it was called) The biggest problem was cutting 8x4 sheets on my garage floor not good for a 63 year old. I'm pleased with the result a few things I'd do differently if I'm ever crazy enough to do it again. I think I'm about the £750 mark so far. New telly when this one dies is the next expense.

Well done.
Can I ask though how the shelves are secured ?. Not just screwed in from the outside,which is what it looks like. As the screws can tear through if too much weight goes on them. Set into dado's or even simple supports below would be far better.

New telly when this one dies is the next expense.

Wallpaper first ;)

Well done.
Can I ask though how the shelves are secured ?. Not just screwed in from the outside,which is what it looks like. As the screws can tear through if too much weight goes on them. Set into dado's or even simple supports below would be far better.

Wallpaper first ;)
They are screwed from the inside at an angle I used a pocket hole jig and dowles and glue. And I've told the wife not to overload them. Let's see if she listens. 🤔 I did wallpaper before I started on the project. Biggest problem I had was the concrete floor meeting the wall has a 5mm rise so they wouldn't lay flat against the wall, took me ages to measure and re measure before I cut the bottom. 🤯

You have done a stunning job , it looks the part with the fire/ tv etc -first attempt at woodworking you say -👍 I think most wood workers struggle with 8x4 sheets - I get mine from Selco and get the main cuts done in store - you get 2 or 3 for free then pay a couple bucks for any others, definitely worth it .

Great job for a beginner. Is it just plain MDF. ? If so you might want to reinforce the edges of the shelves or they will sag under the lightest of loads.

View attachment 152587I still have to paint it and put the doors on the bottom parts of the cupboards. I was quoted £2000 to build it which I thought it was fair considering the work involved, but I couldn't afford it so decided to have a go myself. I purchased a einhell tracksaw, a jig for dowles and a jig to screw at an angle (can't remember what it was called) The biggest problem was cutting 8x4 sheets on my garage floor not good for a 63 year old. I'm pleased with the result a few things I'd do differently if I'm ever crazy enough to do it again. I think I'm about the £750 mark so far. New telly when this one dies is the next expense.
Looks great and you have saved enough for a very nice new TV

Great effort. I was 57 when I started to make anything serious and have always refused to be intimidated by puzzles and problems. The secret for me has been to break it down into small parts of the process and think it though. Yes, it takes time but the reward at the end of a successful prooject is so much more important than the time it took.

Jim

Great job for a beginner. Is it just plain MDF. ? If so you might want to reinforce the edges of the shelves or they will sag under the lightest of loads.
yeah this is a good point. Glue in a strip of mdf below the shelf at the front (perpendicular), it will add a huge amount of support and also make the shelves look at little sturdier.

yeah this is a good point. Glue in a strip of mdf below the shelf at the front (perpendicular), it will add a huge amount of support and also make the shelves look at little sturdier.
Something like 3 x 1 cm softwood strips would be stronger. I'm afraid people just see a shelf and think nothing of plonking sets of encyclopedias on them.

looks really good for your first go, you must n
be well pleased. If you want something helpful for cutting large sheets then spring 200 quid for a bora centipede workbench. It folds away really small so won't take up much room.

Back