My career in baseball

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisk

Established Member
Reaction score
Well there has been a few people asking about the WIP for the bent bat. I had some 4" by 6" oak so that is what is used. I drew the design out on the side and roughed it out on the bandsaw and then extended drawn lines through the centers as far as I could. I left about 6" on each end for mounting and gluing blocks to as well.Picture one shows this and shows the first set of blocks glued and screwed to the handle end. I also drilled a shallow recess for the spur drive and live centers.
Second pic shows barrel end turned and sanded. I then took glue blocks off and mounted them to the barrel end and remounted as in pic 3.
Pic 4 shows handle turned and about as far as I can go on the lathe.I cut the barrel end as close to square as I could and sanded it and then did the same with the handle end, which didnt take as long.
On the lathe I sanded with the lathe running, and then stopped it and sanded with the grain to clean up the bent area.
And yes those are C clamps for weight, worked like a charm and the Titan chugged through it with ease. Thanks

Attachments

• P1020273.jpg
    P1020273.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 1,048
  • P1020271.JPG
    P1020271.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,048
  • P1020270.JPG
    P1020270.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,048
  • P1020269.JPG
    P1020269.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,048
  • P1020268.JPG
    P1020268.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 1,048
That must've had a few hairy moments turning that. Well done.
I should maybe consider the style of bat. I might stand a better chance of actually hitting a ball.

OK, why a bent bat?
I like the C Clamp counterweights, but then again I don't like them if you see what I mean

Brian

Wow!! If there was a monthly award for the bravest (or craziest?) piece of turning in the Challenge, this piece would be right up there!! Good to see the thought processes behind setting up the two sections as well.

Thank you for posting this Dennisk. This is roughly how I saw this being turned, I have seen someone turn a seal using this but on a much smaller scale so not so much of a problem with being out of balance.

Latest posts

Back