My boat got wet. Grrr.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJay

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I pick your brains...?

captain_william.jpg

I've moved the hull out the shed (the one with the leaky roof) into the fresh air (the one with the leaky roof) ready for smelly epoxy spraying just as soon as it stops blinking raining. The ply skin has got some water staining from the rain leaking through the leaky roofs; which isn't a problem on the outside as it's all to be painted; the inside however, is going to get a clear varnish and I'd quite like to magic away the stain as much as possible (though it's not a biggy, as the worst of it will get hidden by floor boards). I can't do a huge lot of sanding though, as it's ply. Any magic solutions?

You can lessen the impact of water stains on green oak by using a steamer (wall paper stripper) so it may be worth a try (on a sample first!)

Cheers

Tim

Good thinking Batman. I've got plenty of sample material as the deck got clobbered in the leaky shed and I'm inclined to start afresh with a new bit of ply.

You might also see if bleaching would work. It may reduce the staining enough but again try it on a sample.

Oh, and what is the boat you're building? It looks like a nice one although the figure head is a bit off center. ;)

Oxalic acid , you may need to order it from a chemist and tell them what you are using it for .
It does bleach the wood even though they say it wont .

Oxalic acid is the trick. I've been restoring wooden boats for over ten years and it never stops surprising me how watermarks disappear with the acid. Oxalic acid is crystals as citric acid and they are mixed with water.

My mixture is to add acid to hot water as long as you get leftover crystals in the bottom of the jar and then dilute this with more hot water 1:1. the mixture depends, on very stubborn marks I might use it raw, sometimes I dilute it more.

Apply to the watermarks, let stand for an hour or two, re-apply if needed and finally rinse thoroughly (usually you have to use a sponge or something with semi-finished parts). After it's dry, just sand smooth.

Pekka

Thanks everyone, I'll give them a try.

Dave R":2dxccilx said:
Oh, and what is the boat you're building? It looks like a nice one although the figure head is a bit off center. ;)

It's a Mk1 Wayfarer, but don't tell anyone. Good point about the figurehead, fortunately I haven't nailed him into final position yet. Also, he's very sensitive when it comes to jokes about the size of his ears, which also double as a handy windspeed indicator.

MrJay":2fqrqieo said:
Good point about the figurehead, fortunately I haven't nailed him into final position yet. Also, he's very sensitive when it comes to jokes about the size of his ears, which also double as a handy windspeed indicator.

:lol: :lol:

Ah, a Wayfarer. Very good. Frank Dye and his wife sailed one of those things all over creation didn't they?

Well I hope we'll see more of it as you along.

Wayfarers are good boats. Are you building it open or decking it?

Someone sailed to Iceland in one some years ago, where are you going to take yours?

Pete

Latest posts

Back