Music machine Mondays

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
A while back, we were enthusing about a wonderful mechanical musical instrument, built out of plywood, used by the Swedish group Wintergatan. (wintergatan-marble-machine-anyone-up-for-a-challenge-t96241.html )

It's now in a museum in the Netherlands while its designer works on a bigger and better one.
The museum is what inspired him in the first place and it looks fantastic. He's now producing a new video each Monday, featuring an instrument from their collection. If you like complicated mechanisms in elaborate wooden cases, which were the mechanical iPods of a century ago, I recommend that you subscribe to his channel and enjoy the story so far.

https://www.youtube.com/user/wintergatan2000

For some reason I missed the original post Andy (Mar '16) so thanks for re-posting.

And thanks for today's link too. Very interesting and fascinating to watch him playing the thing.

AES

Just bumping this.
Anyone who likes the idea of woodwork meeting engineering and music will enjoy this guy's progress as he designs and builds his new marble machine musical instrument.
He's learnt a lot from instruments in museums, from other inventive people online and from his supportive fans. His new machine is going to be better engineered and mostly built using CNC machining.
Well worth watching and a good reminder of how much fun it can be to make stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/wintergatan2000

Thank you for posting this Andy, sadly my brain is now on a winter now I wonder if? phase.
I did repair a player piano once upon a time, an easy job as a tube had become detached from somewhere or other obvious. Both the owner and myself felt that all the tubes were looking old, in the way that rubber does, but he never took me up on an offer to replace them all sadly.
xy

I've been following his videos for a couple of years now. He's such a clever man and very modest and humble about it all. Hes seems to be having a good life at the moment - and all the best to him. Can't wait to see the finished machine.

Back