Multico thicknesser - doubles as an air raid siren

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iant61

Reaction score
Anybody out there own a multico thicknesser? I've bought one second hand and it's great but it's had the cover come extractor port bodged and it seems to be causing a siren like effect. If I take the cover off its quite quiet (all be it very scary seeing that block spending round) but putting the cover on even hooked up to the dust collect causes the wailing sound. Just wondering if anybody has got any pictures of what the extractor part should look like and what effect it has on the sound of the machine when it's in place that would be really helpful as I don't want to redo it if 'they all do that sir' :) .

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 132
Have a look at completed ebay sales.

Most thicknesser hoods are the same, it will taper up into a port in the middle of the hood, 100mm-120mm will be big enough for that machine.

Well the soil-pipe extractor is not exactly an OEM part, is it? I suspect that that is the source of your noise, it's probably acting as a sound chamber! Did the vendor say why he was selling it?...
S

It came from a school workshop that got shut down and whilst it's obviously quite old, mechanically it seems in very good condition. It does seem to be a resonance problem, the block shifts enough air to start the chips spinning in the dust collector before it's even turned on which is why I think the drone is quite loud. I think the first step will be to just block the pipe and see what happens but I had to lift the lid up about 4cm at one end before the noise stopped which made me start to wonder if it was just the way the cover was designed.

I'd like to find out a bit more about the machine if I could as its a nice piece of engineering and in a different league to the rest of the modern stuff in the workshop. I've done a search and not turned up much. I tried to find the weight as we had to move it, all I know is that two strong men can't lift it cleanly!

I used to have one of these machines, definitely didnt have an extraction like that!

As others have mentioned, it should taper to a port at the back, staying in same direction of cutters to make use of the direction of the chips as they fly off the cutterblock.

Bitumen self adhesive sound deadening panels could be stuck to the inside of the sheet cover to reduce drumming.

It's a bit of a one off isn't it lol. Sound deadening panels is a good idea, will give that a go.
I expect I will end up remaking the extractor because having it come out one side means the hose gets in the way as well.
Don't suppose you can remember anything about setting the height of the blades in the block? I think they are a touch high because on light passes the feed rollers slip just a tad but it's fine on a deeper cut.

I cant remember in detail, I havent had the machine for 15 years!

with the machine isolated you could slide in a bit of prepared wood, wind up the bed until the front feed roller touches and see what gap there is between wood and cutting circle. Its worth checking both sides to see if the feed pressure is the same.

I might be wrong, but I thought there was some adjustment for the feed rollers? -they are spring loaded, so the adjustment would be where the bearing housing sits. Mind you it was 15 years back......... :)

The problem is the hood is fitted too tightly to the table. The air is being sucked passed the spinning blades and causing the siren noise. I had the same issue once. If you leave a gap then the extractor can suck air from around and the noise will reduce

Back