MRMDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottdimelow

Established Member
Reaction score
I had to paint some MRMDF shelves at work a few weeks ago and noticed how dense it was. I give them one coat expecting the edges to fluff up, but I was amazed they didn't.

All they took was another light sanding and a two top coats.

This stuff was the type that's green all the way through. However, my local timber yard stocks the stuff that has a green centre.

Is there any difference between the two?

TIA

I've never found any difference between the two - maybe it's just down to different brands of MDF?? My yard usually stocks the green all-the-way-through in thinner sizes, 9mm and less; thicker than that and it's usually just a green core, but aside from the colour they've performed identically, IME.

HTH Pete

MRMDF is what I use for any painted furniture. Yes 9mm is all green, 18mm and 25mm core only.

Apparently, the "Green" is just a dye and does not contribute to board being moisture resistant. Probably just for identification purposes.

Dave

I use Medite and that is also only a green core unless it is in thin sheets. Yes, MRMDF makes a big difference when it comes to finishing it. Worth the extra few bob IMO. :wink:

Thanks guys, I couldn't work out in my mind why the core would be different. I was thinking of it being like tanalised but it's obviously not made like that.

I'll definitely use MR if ever I buy MDF in the future, I just couldn't believe how well it was machined.

I notice wickes stock it, it's only £25 for a full sheet of 18mm. Anyone used it from there?

The moisture resistant stuff seems to be denser and cut surfaces do finish better. But don't buy boards just because they are green. I've had green MDF that was too woolly to finish, sold as MR but worse even than normal non-MR. I always use Medite now.

Terry

Definitely use MR for painted finish. My Sprayers recommend the green core (medite, I think). They say it gives the best Finnish. They probably know after many years of spraying.

The idea of just a green core was supposedly for when it was veneered you have a brown base rather than a green tinge showing through on light veneers.

Latest posts

Back