moving house

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treena

Reaction score
Hoping to downsize soon and wonder how to dispose of old furniture as cheaply as possible in the Tonbridge/T.Wells area
All suggestions gratefully received

Depends what sort - if any of it is nice timber,I'm sure someone on here would help you "recycle" it :D

Andrew

recently heard about something called freecycle which is a web based
recycling thing where you give things away within your local community.
seems worth looking for a local site.

freecycle is the web search word.

paul :wink:

You should find that charity organisations will take the stuff unless it is soft furnishings in which case unless it has a kite mark they won't take it.

If I could offer some advice though as I was faced with a similar 'problem'? I bought a flat where the owner had sadly died. She had no relatives, the sole egregious lowlife of a benefactor for her personal effects simply came in, cherry picked stuff and then left the rest...including freezers full of food, fridge full of rancid food (probate took a year) and personal effects strewn about. It was all rather depressing. I was faced with having to clear out the flat and, like you, wanted to give away as much to charity as i could....clothes, furniture, carpets, curtains etc.

It was a nightmare. There was no one single organisation that would take the lot. I spend days and days researching, ringing around, waiting in for 'no-shows' and STILL I ended up taking suitcases full to the tip.

Never again.

Next time I will find a house clearer who will take the lot.. They usually pay a small sum of money for the stuff (as they can sell on a lot to make their profit). I will then give the small sum to charity.

As engineer 1 said get in touch with your local freecycle group (freecycle.org) I've been using my local one for a while now and even got myself a wet & dry grinder(used once).

To Andrew,Paul,Roger,Kevin
Thanks so much for all suggestions
I heard that a van comes around locally on Sunday mornings and takes bulky items so will check that tomorrow
Better set the clock

Back