Moved from American Cherry for sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id be interested in this as i'm near. Not at £600 though, did you mean £60?

I just used the price for 75mm Cherry from the link above and the wood price calculator chucked this out. I assume all the measurements are roughly correct and not sure if the dreaded VAT is to go on top?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 13.29.37.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 13.29.37.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 916
Stormer1940":2zz7ykfx said:
I just used the price for 75mm Cherry from the link above and the wood price calculator chucked this out. I assume all the measurements are roughly correct and not sure if the dreaded VAT is to go on top?

so that makes this lots value around £1400 ;)

As seen as not all of it is 4" then I'd say you may have got your calculations wrong :lol:

Back in 2015 2" was around £55 per ft3. This is from a suppliers old price guide.

I know with european oak as soon as you hit 4" territory the price jumps to the moon. Guide price 2015 was £117.00 ft3

As someone who uses American Cherry quite regularly and have recently bought some from Whitmores all I will say is that £600 for that pile is a bargain!

hi guys
is European cherry generally cheaper than american? over Xmas I bought a rough sawn dried 2.5x10 inch 8ft slab of European for about £40 if that's of any help to anyone? If it was a bargain i shall be swiftly back to the yard to buy the rest!

JWD":2so40m6h said:
is European cherry generally cheaper than american?

Yes, I'm paying about £65 a cubic foot for American Cherry (rising to about £80-100 a cubic foot for particularly fine boards of Curly Cherry), but European Cherry commonly sells for about £40-45 a cubic foot. The reason is that American Cherry is one of the half dozen or so core commercial Hardwood species, where as European Cherry isn't. So you'll often find European Cherry in small yards as a result of local felling, some weeks it's available, other weeks it's gone. But American Cherry is always available, and in massive quantities, so that's the one that gets specified.

If you've got a source for European Cherry it's well worth pursuing, it's initially paler than American but over time it darkens just as much, plus it has a distinctive stripiness to the grain that's both attractive and distinctive.

Latest posts

Back