Motor advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippy75

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I now have an old three phase Fobco star sitting in my garage and im looking to get it up and running. My options are to keep the 3ph motor and use an inverter or replace it with a 1ph motor but im not sure about the pros and cons of each one? Price wise its similar.

If I were to get a 1ph motor, what manufacturer is the best choice? Ive come across TEC, Marelli, Gibbons and others with names not mentioned but im not sure if any are of a better quality than others? Im hoping to get a very smooth running drill that will last me many, many years so i want to get the right motor and not just bodge it.

Obviously electrics are not my area of expertise so i would be really grateful for some advice.

I'd keep the three phase and use an inverter. if the fobco motor is a dual voltage 240/380 then the inverter will be a lot cheaper. You could always go down the converter route, they are getting cheaper second hand because people are going for inverters now. Only problem with a converter is you loose power unless you use a rotary one.
HTH

+1 on the 3ph. I have the meddings equivalent to do, so am going to get an inverter for that. Cost aside, the fact that it will be variable speed is the main advantage for me.

Seems like 3 phase is the way to go then. I just found a video of a Fobco star running one and having a spindle speed that goes right down to 38rpm which is amazing. Ive seen some very nice looking pre wired packages on ebay so I think thats the route I will go down.

Thanks for the advice guys

Back