Mother of all planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that the last working master cooper in England appealed for people to apply as his apprentice last year and struggled to get to applicants. he's from yorkshire IIRC

Was it that the Sherry barrels went to Scotland or the whisky barrels went to Jerez? Can't remember (far too much consumption) but it was bl**dy cheap to drink the stuff in the bodegas of southern Espana. Probably better known as wobbling. I do owe a debt to the coopers of the world even though it may have already been factored into the price. Sahlud.

Sherry barrels for whiskey I think Mignal. (Hic! :eek:ccasion5: )
The other plane I mentioned before..... 2m plus and used I believe for the rafters it's hanging from among other stuff.
0K3claz.jpg

Bm101":nzunqg3r said:
Sherry barrels for whiskey I think Mignal. (Hic! :eek:ccasion5: )
The other plane I mentioned before..... 2m plus and used I believe for the rafters it's hanging from among other stuff.
0K3claz.jpg

Unlikely - such a long and heavy plane has no benefit for planing rafters (or much else) and plenty of downsides.

It feels "obviously" that large planes are more powerful, but since all the power comes from you this is obviously nonsense.

Long planes (jointers) are used for their geometric accuracy, and counterintuitively, are used for fine shavings.

The coppers' jointer is (per this thread) the notable counter-example; its length is needed to provided the ergonomics of its very unusual mode of use (wood bought to the plane, not vice versa), and the length and mass cause no trouble since the plane doesn't move.

BugBear

Thank you one and all for your posts - hugely interesting. And thanks Derek for posting your pics, much appreciated.

Jonny

Latest posts

Back