Mortice chisel selection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Classic case of the grass being greener

I guess that you are right, Alf. I am hearing rave reviews about locally-made chisels by Harold & Saxon, available in either O1 or HSS. Some of the guys who also have LN are describing the difference as chalk and cheese. Unfortunately the waiting list is .. let us say .. excessive. I have been waiting 18 months for two chisels to try out.

chiselselectionindex.jpg

http://www.haroldandsaxon.com/index.htm

A book? You have got to be kidding! What about you? You are a far better writer than I. The woodworking world went into mourning when you stopped your blog.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Good lord, those are... flashy. Brass sockets? Unusual. I'll look forward to your review when you finally get them.

And I'm not kidding. Heck, you've got plenty of material for it - and you actually do stuff to write about. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

My God, you guys are impossible! There you in the land of oval bolstered mortice chisels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Hard to find in Oz. Some I bought in the UK, some from eBay without handles ... Always looked for blades about 7 1/2" long.

Seconded. Even at retail dealer prices, old ones are cheaper than new ones, and are pretty damn good.

BugBear

bugbear":12pll5i5 said:
My God, you guys are impossible! There you in the land of oval bolstered mortice chisels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Hard to find in Oz. Some I bought in the UK, some from eBay without handles ... Always looked for blades about 7 1/2" long.

Seconded. Even at retail dealer prices, old ones are cheaper than new ones, and are pretty damn good.

BugBear

I agree & whats more they seem to be everywhere!
I have a decent set so need no more, but seem to see them in every auction & often at Car boots.
I truely cannot see the point in buying new chisels (assuming you can make new handles) old ones can be had for peanuts & in far superior steel.

Alf":r46bil0e said:
Good lord, those are... flashy. Brass sockets? Unusual. I'll look forward to your review when you finally get them.

And I'm not kidding. Heck, you've got plenty of material for it - and you actually do stuff to write about. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Why don't the pair of you quit this mutual back slapping AND GET ON & WRITE A BOOK!
I'd buy either or both or how about a joint one??

Latest posts

Back