Mortar and pestle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen a magazine article using ash for the pestle and beech for the mortar. Finished product looked good.

The tannin can affect some foods, don't forget that it will possibly be used with spices which often have volatile oils in them. Ash, beech, sycamore, hawthorn, blackthorn, maple, are all OK anything with tannin or oils are best left alone for anything to do with foodstuffs. .

Pete

olivewood itsnt that expensive ive found, however you may have to wait a while before you can use it, alot of the olivewood i have was sold as "part seasoned" yet still very green

Looks like I may wait till the begining of Nov when my sister is coming to visit as she has some olive wood for me(she lives in portugal) The wood is already dry

Just found the article I referred to above. Just one point to consider thr pestle was hollowed out from end grain timber for it's hardness.

Bodrighy":vjmzdggo said:
I do all mine end grain. Traditionally things like chopping boards and these were always done end grain.

PETE

That would make it a sizeable spindle blank!

:lol:
Chopping boards are usually made of laminated pieces all glued together so that the end grain is turned. Have a look at a butchers chopping block. Same principle. Reason is when you cut you don't make slashes in the wood and can scrub clean easily with a stiff brush, more hygienic.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I understand the principle on chopping boards my reference to the large blank referred to the pestle. A big pestle of 7/8" dia would need a large spindle blank or would it be possible to laminate this bearing in mind the way Jamie Oliver pounds his.

Ray

A 7/8th pestle would only need a 1" diameter spindle The mortar also needs only to be slightly larger than it's final diameter. The biggest I have made for anyone was a 9" one for someone and I made that from hawthorn.

Pete

Pete
Lets see if I got this right for the mortar. Instead of turning as you would a bowl you would turn it with the end grain in the bottom of the vessel and the pestle would be turned as a normal spindle

Back