More problems with finish for end-grain coasters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrenchIan

Established Member
Reaction score
Following the recommendation of Cornucopia, I got some Woodoc 10, and it's good stuff.

I've made some sets of coasters out of spalted elm (found a small log among this year's firewood) and some with off-cuts of end-grain walnut/ash, and Woodoc has sealed them all - no more rings!

But I'm being beaten by hornbeam. Most of the firewood I buy is oak, but sometimes I get some hornbeam logs, and I found one that was spalted. Too good to burn, so I cut some slices to make end-grain coasters. Wonderful graining, but they're drinking varnish! I can't apply it quickly enough - it just disappears into the wood, as if it was blotting paper. Four coats so far, and the spalted areas are still taking it in. Even if I apply it so it's pooled on the surface, the spalted areas absorb it and ask for more (the other parts are beginning to respond). I've even looked underneath, in case it's leaking out the bottom.....

Is there anything I can do with the next few batches? Maybe total immersion for the first coat is the answer, but that would be expensive in good varnish. How about immersion in cheap PU varnish as a first coat, just to fill it, then de-nib and finish with the real stuff?

Or, any other ideas, please......

Thanks

I'm glad your getting on o.k with the woodoc
I find spalted timber normally takes one more coat than non spalted- are you letting the first coat dry or are you wiping it off when its still wet?
if all else fails drop woodoc an email they are very helpfull

Back