More of geoffs work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I would show you what I have been up to recently and kindly ask Steve to post the photos for me. For some time I have given some thought to a new display stand as I need to free up more table space as i have so many items I display and the more things I have on display the more I will sell. The new stand is the one with 5 cross members and I am pleased with the way it turned out.

I have had a lady who is a regular visitor to the craft fairs and she kept asking me if I would make her a lions head so I finally got round to doing that for her. At first when I saw the pattern I did not think it would be defined enough but went ahead anyway and when I placed a backer behind it I was surprised at how well defined it was so I made another one for my display.

As you will see in the first photo I do a lot of name signs as these are by far my best sellers so in the third photo I have made another lot so now I have seven different designs people can choose from.

I had an amusing incident the other day. I had a lady come up to me and she asked if I remembered her, I said I didn’t. She said she had bought a plaque from me three years ago. I had probably seen thousands of people since then. She asked me if I could make her another one the same. I asked her to describe it. Well, obviously it was made from wood, she said. It took a good half hour before I had enough information from her to establish what she had bought from me three years previously.

Attachments

• geoff1.jpg
    geoff1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,352
  • geoff2.jpg
    geoff2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,352
  • geoff3.jpg
    geoff3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,352
Have to say Geoff.

Love your work, and love the setup. I only wish I could have a selling setup in Bham like you do..

Nice work Geoff, and with plenty for the customers to choose from on your craft stall.

Chris R.

Really nice work Geoff and a great setup thank you for posting pics
It s inspiring and something to aim for if i can ever stop giving away everything i make i would like to get a collection together to try a craft fair
Copyright is also a big hurdle for me too I've only really been making things from books
Thanks again
Jim

More good stuff Geoff excellent finishing too, also an impressive set up. As Jim o1 asked what is the situation with patterns and copyright, am I right in thinking that Steve Good patterns are free to use?

Chas

I have never really studied copyright law and in all the years I have been scrolling have never had a problem. I design most of the stuff I sell myself but I have also bought patterns from people like Shiela Lanndry and the Teddy Bear company and its okay to make them and sell them at craft fairs as I do. Now and again Steve Good comes up with a cracker of a design and again I make them and on his site he says it's okay to make his designs and sell them at craft fairs. There was something however that I never realised and it has not caused any problem. I had a guy come up to me last year and he pointed out the name signs I had made using the Disney font, he said I was breaking copyright law, so what. As I said, no one else has ever commented on them.

Chippygeoff":1w93riu8 said:
I had a guy come up to me last year and he pointed out the name signs I had made using the Disney font, he said I was breaking copyright law, so what. As I said, no one else has ever commented on them.

And loads of people make wooden name plaques and sell then on ebay Called Disney Font/lettering

I cannot see how a font that is free to download has any copyright issues, unless you were to use it for branding a big brand. Then I think Disney Coorp would get involved.

lots of people make fake goods too, it doesnt make it legal. I am not suggesting that Geoff is/was deliberately infringing copyright, but it is effectively the same thing.

marcros":3qlval38 said:
lots of people make fake goods too, it doesnt make it legal. I am not suggesting that Geoff is/was deliberately infringing copyright, but it is effectively the same thing.

And your quite right, it doesn't, Geoff stop using it now or Pluto is going to issue you with a C&D order.

In America there is no copyright over fonts apparently, and the Disney font that you can download is somehow different to the real thing.

In the scheme of things, like most crafted items made by hand the big companies turn the other way, if you where to mass produce them like t-shirts and clothing where the makers idea is to actually copy and sell, then you should not, but creating a child's name in a style similar to Disney is unlikely to get you into trouble.

However if you where to use the font to brand your company logo then Disney would file for a C&D order and send Big Ears after you

Back