More MDF (desk finished) (now in place)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have got well on with the computer desk I have started building. It will house four drawers with a desktop that will be anchored to the wall as lean-to design. It is being made to match a dresser unit in the same room.
DSCN2523.jpg

DSCN2524.jpg

I also got a kitchen door almost complete which will go with the drawer units.
kitchendoor-1.jpg

I may have some 'real' woodwork to do soon too. :D
You will notice I have changed my working on the drawer units Bob. Was definitley quicker. :wink:

Got the desktop finished and in primer today.
DSCN2528.jpg

Next job is to make the drawer boxes and fit the cable inserts for the top. No work on it tomorrow as I am fitting the shabby robes. :D

i have every respect for you being able to make things out of mdf i had to rout round one table top last week and it took me another day to clean the workshop after my GF confused me for a snowman!

I have now finshed the computer desk and am ready to fit it along with the bathroom cabinets I have made.
DSCN2544.jpg

The handles look nice in place now too.
DSCN2545.jpg

I made the drawers in Pine and gave them a Light Oak stain to match the cable plugs.
DSCN2547.jpg

And this is the unit they were made to match:
Grahamdresserunit.jpg

I think the customer will be happy with it, at least I hope so as I have three Oak units to make for him next. :D

Evening....

Have you laminated the MDF used to make the desk or is this spray finished? I can't make it out too well (need new glasses) and i was wondering about how you would get a good finish. I use a fair bit of MDF myself and thought about making a few bits and pieces before i start making things out of 'proper' wood itself.

Thanks in advance

Jim

jim123 what a bluddy annoying usermame every time I see it I expect to see a post
by jimi43

It is a painted finish Jim. I use Morrells AC laquer for painting MDF although I should mention it is MRMDF I use. I use two coats of primer and then two top coats. HTH.

I returned to the customers home today with the Oak units I had made so thought I would get some shots of the desk while I was there. Here is the desk in place now being used.
computerdeskfitted.jpg

this shot shows one of the units I was trying to match.
computerdeskmatch.jpg

;)

Like it. I love seeing what can be done with this affordable material. The inside of the drawers look nice in wood against the painted MDF. Nice job
I hate working with MDF but it is useful- used it on friday to box in a consumber unit on the house i'm working in. Once its had a lick of paint it will blend in well.

Back