More Dremel time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Dyball

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Had another play with the Dremel this weekend, another go at piercing and a first 'bash' at carving - having acquired the flexi-drive on a 'sale or return' basis from George (Cornucopia).

The pierced one is steamed beech, about 8" across and 1 3/4" high. The pierced rim is about 1/12" thick (or thin)

The carved and pyrographed one is ash, 7" wide, 1 1/2" high and deliberately 'chunky'.

These are more trial pieces from my 'to do' list, I've got loads of things I want to try and no time for the vast majority of them.... at least I won't be bored when I retire, assuming my pension is ever actually worth anything!

Cheers,

Neil.

hi neil
love the simplicity of the first bowl, beautifully turned and a nice straight forward pattern, not keen on the foot though, sorry.

Like the shape of the bowl in the second but i think you've overdone the carving and pyrography IMHO.
If its any consilation, i have now just bought the axminster carving set and cable, all i need now is a clear cabin and time to use the lathe.
Keep em coming...

I really like them both!! And it is just down to personal choice but, I like the second one best. But then, I am a fan of chunky pieces and random patterns, so it works well for me.

Not time to do 'em? know just what you mean!!

Hi Neil,
I like them both, well done.
The pyrography on the second one reminds me of a design on a bowl i saw a little while ago, was it something you had seen before?

stevebuk":1wb6va0n said:
i have now just bought the axminster carving set and cable,
When? & how? :shock: :shock: :lol: you must be minus soooooo many brownie points. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really like the first one Neil, it must have took a lot of patience. The simplicity of the design of the pattern adds greatly to the piece. Really good stuff 8)

I agree with Steve on the second though, a really nice bowl but the decoration, I feel is just too much and too bold, it takes your eye and stops you from seeing the piece as a whole. Just my oppinion though :D

JT

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments, good and not so good! :lol:

Steve, I think I'm going to stop doing pictures upside down as the foot always looks rubbish. I actually put the bowl on the edge of the workbench and looked it it from a low angle to get an idea of what it would look like without the foot. The bowl appeared much more 'dumpy' without it and seemed to sit 'in' rather than 'on' the surface. If I have time I'll try and take some pictures to attempt to illustrate what I mean. The second one was only carved originally but the pattern didn't really stand out against the grain although as a texture it felt fine. It actually looks a lot less 'harsh' in real life but I freely admit to being a rubbish photographer.

Doug, no, I hadn't seen anything similar and made a conscious decision to 'make a version of'. The carved pattern was just something I'd seen recently in a beginners pyrography book as a 'grass' type effect. As I said above I didn't originally intend to pyrograph it as well but is looked a bit lost without any colour. Maybe I just needed to carve it a bit deeper? I'll try that next time!

Mrs S, my missus prefers the piereced one - slim and stylish, much like me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Dyball":mga2e9yk said:
looks a lot less 'harsh' in real life but I freely admit to being a rubbish photographer.

Mrs S, my missus prefers the piereced one - slim and stylish, much like me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.

with a chunky bottom eh! :lol: :lol:

Lovely work Neil!! The top bowl has an ice ethnic quality about it and reminds me of items I have seen form the middle east. I am very impressed and you have piqued my interest in having a go

Hi Neil,

Those are both good first attempts at the different techniques. I've not tried piercing as yet so have no idea how difficult it is to do. That many holes must have taken a fair amount of patience! Did you draw the design on first or do it all by eye?

My personal preference is for the carved/pyrographed bowl, although I think the design might be improved had you taken the carving/pyrography all the way in to the inner rim. Did you sand the rim after pyrograhing the carving? I sign the bases of my pieces with pyrography & sometimes put little designs on the bases too, and find these always look better and stand out more if I lightly sand the finished pyrograhy with 1200grit paper or grey scotchbrite before applying the final finish.

tekno.mage

I like the style of both Neil, the first for its clean lightweight lines and the second for its decoration/rim proportions.
Only negative for me on the second one is the fact that the powerful decoration clashes with the likewise powerful central figuring, as much as I prefer natural wood figuring, & I would have been tempted to mute the inner bowl with some form of coating I think if one of mine had emerged like that.

Just personal feelings that have no reason whatever to detract from two well executd items.

All,

Thanks for the input.

Tony, definitely give it a go if you've not tried it before. As long as you've got time & patience!

'Tekno', I drew the pattern on the pierced one freehand as a guide. I was a little nervous using the carver for the first time so left a small band around the inner rim so I didn't 'slip' and carve down into the bowl itself. Maybe I'll be a bit more confident in future. I lightly sanded after the carving/pyrography just to remove any 'fluffy' edges.

CHJ, I picked a blank at random to have a play with the carving and the figure was more defined then I expected. I'd be interested for future reference to know what kind of treatment you would have applied to the inner bowl surface.

Cheers,

Neil.

Back