More deliberation on a lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Well I'm still on the hunt to get a good lathe cheap so have been keeping an eye on e-bay and noticed two have come up that are close by.

One is a Naerok Link here

And the other is unkown, which I've asked the seller the make Link Here

Both of these look like the NuTool one that Struan has just got, Struan Post here

And also look like the Clarke CWL12D

I've just noted that the Clarke lathe allows for outboard turning which would allow for wider plates and bowls etc.

So what are peoples thougths, if they are the same as the Clarke then there is not point paying a high price when machine mart are doing them for 126 quid.

Mark [ confused ]

Let me add to your confusion...

I've got a (blue) Record Coronet no. 1 sitting idle in my garashed.
It's in reasonable condition, with drive centre, tail centre, live tail centre with interchangeable tips a screw chuck and 3 face plates.
There also the record bowl turning attachment - although this is a bit fiddly as the lathe has a fixed head (you unplug and move the bars).

I'm hoping for around £100 for it, but I've no idea how sensible this is.

It's surplus to requirements now I have a Poolewood...

The Naerok is a higher power one which is useful and Peter Child has it listed as Naerok/Nutool so maybe it's the same make. Don'y know if the name is Korean spelled backwards is significant?

Pete

The Naerok link one looks almost identical to my Nutool lathe (which is the same as Struans.

It is a good starter lathe - parts are still available from Nutool. Mine was in a good condition as it was looked after and well used by my uncle!

It is not the most accurate of lathes - even though I replaced the barings. The red plastic cap comes of for outboard turning and it will take an Axminster chuck (well mine did!).

Does me a good turn anyway! :oops: :lol:

Naerok is a welsh company located in Powys.
i've had a belt sander by them for years, still going strong.

John. B

If I were looking for a lathe in that category, I'd snap CambournePete's hand off! Solid machine, all the bits still available.
Yes, Naerok was Korean spelled backwards. I had one of their planer-thicknessers attached to the side of my Coronet Consort in place of the original Coronet one. It was "OK", but needed a lot of fettling.
And finally, if anyone wants a spare headstock spindle for a Naerok lathe, I seem to have one lying around :?

Definately looks like the lathe that i just bought.
I'm new to this game, but have a few hours under my belt now! It's very simple to use, and the belt drive is very forgiving should you get a dig in.
Bits are readily available from machine mart. I'm getting lots of pleasure out of mine already. I'd say it's definately worth a look if the price is right.
Message me if you think i can be of any more help

Struan

'Place witty comment here'

Hi All

cambournepete: Thanks for the offer but cambridge is a tad to far for me to travel.

Struan Not seen that one, will have to keep an eye on it.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mark..........

Hi I am in the same position as the original poster and am trying to get into woodturning and am very much on a budget (who isn't these days my nice company has just cut my wages by 14k bye bye toy money!))

I'm currently looking at a few different lathes and am a little confused as to where my prioities should be, I am currently considering a secondhand
Record DML36SH with 7 chisels which I think I might be able to get for around 80 pounds, cambournepetes coronet seems tempting but I will need to find more money for some chisels,and a chuck (it seems like
turning will easier with one?). There also seem to be a few clarkes about.

Any guidance? The one thing I am using as an excuse to buy a the is to turn some new spindles for my staircase (I need a good 33/34" for that) but really want to turn lots of others things!

Thanks in advance

Matt
p.s apologies if its bad form to ask further questions on someone elses thread!

Well you won't need a chuck for doing spindle work and if you keep an eye on eBay I'm sure you'll pick up some cheap tools. You won't need the full set straight away. You can build it up over the months and years.

If there's any way that you can include a chuck in your budget / spending.. try and do so ... infinately easier for doing certain aspects of spindle work.. goblets, boxes and the like.
Not a pre-requisite, but there's not many here without one, and that in itself tells its own story.

Good luck in your quest.. and 'hello' by the way ! :D :D :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back