Moral Dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like she is very stressed and unhappy with life in general and you were just the thing she focused on that day. I've had a similar experience, and no matter how much I was reasonable and bent over backwards it wasn't enough. In the end when she came round and told me to be quiet I just said no, firmly but quietly, and she hasn't been back.

One thing I've done with most of the neighbours is to do the odd small job for them, repairing furniture, building a flat pack or making the odd moulding. They are less likely to complain if they see there is a positive advantage to having a workshop nearby.

Keith

my council, brent, have recently dropped a "good neighbour" leaflet on me. since it kind of has the impact of law, since they have noise abatement officers, i actually read it :?

they seem to suggest that you can actually do "noisy diy" up to about 9 o'clock at night, after which you should be more considerate. and as for the disco you are gonna have on the deck :lol:

sounds to me that the woman is trying to impose her will on some one that she can affect, obviously not her husband :roll:

having talked to the nearer neighbours, i would just ignore her since it is much better to let things abate than get caught with a letter apologising for something that you have not done wrong.

one of my neighbours worships 5 times a day, and one of those is about 3-4 in the morning when a bath is pulled :cry: but i can't complain.

some will always try to interfere with your life, but if you let them when you are not being unreasonable, then you will have no peace.

paul :wink:

nice looking deck by the way, how you gonna finish it???

I must admit, i was under the same belief as Paul pointed out , I regularly "bang" around till 9 pm, and sometimes a little after...
I wouldnt think that as unreasonable, would she have been as eager to approach this situation , had it been a crack house with effing and blinding and loud music played through to the small hours?? I think not...

Many thanks for all the support. I always thought that the restrictions on noise come into force at 8pm but the estate I live in has a very conservative residence association who recently put out a letter saying that no significant noise should be made after 5pm. To keep the association off my back I stop work at 5 but to be honest even without that I wouldn't be going past 6 o'clock. I have decided to ignore her and either pretend I'm deaf of my ear defenders are too good. :lol: In retrospect I think she's a bit of a mentalist!

Be careful

Work during 'normal' working hours and do quiet tasks in the the 1-4 slot.

If you annoy her too much now, then life will be hard when she decides to hate your workshop (whether she is right or wrong).

Consideration of others and a quiet life are worth a lot

You might strike lucky, she might have quads and need to move to a larger house. :)

Also it could be worth pointing out to her that she has a duty to inform any perspective buyer of her home of a dispute with a neighbour and that jepadises the sale sometime down the line :twisted:

Invite her round for drinkies she'll be so jealous at the good job you've done she will spend all of her time moaning at her old man that he hasn't built one for her :lol:

There's all manner of hormones which are running riot during pregnancy. Progesterone tends to act on the brain to change the balance between inhibition and excitation. Peptides such as relaxin and lactogen also act on the brain and can radically change behaviour patterns. This coctail of hormones and peptides are belived to be responsible for generating strong maternal feelings and ensure that the newborn is well protected and cared for.

Although she may have been out of order, I'd still play it nice... Make her a present for the newborn or something like that - You'll be popular for a long long time.

Fecn":170hi0zs said:
Although she may have been out of order, I'd still play it nice...

I agree. Always be polite and pleasant - you never know what other problems people might have that cause them to be irrational :wink:

A present for the baby would be a nice touch - particularly if you made it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

You know what's funny about this all

We man try to be reasonable and would back down and try to keep the peace

If it was my wife, she would say - go to h*ll :lol:

Back