Money's no object

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd a buy a house in Middlesbrough, spent 15k doing it up and then make a nice oak door for it for a grand.
or I'd invest 29k in a plot of oak woodland a 1k in harvesting a single tree, machining it and making a door.

I'm guessing we are all missing the point here though and that you have a point of interest you want to share, so maybe just share it?

I'd a buy a house in Middlesbrough, spent 15k doing it up and then make a nice oak door for it for a grand.
or I'd invest 29k in a plot of oak woodland a 1k in harvesting a single tree, machining it and making a door.

I'm guessing we are all missing the point here though and that you have a point of interest you want to share, so maybe just share it?

I'm after unfiltered 'blind' answers/thoughts; I don't want to influence anyone by what I've been told; thought it might be more fun asking this way round.

Maybe monday morning was the worst time to ask lol

I'm after unfiltered 'blind' answers/thoughts; I don't want to influence anyone by what I've been told; thought it might be more fun asking this way round.

If there isn't enough information though you are unlikely to get any useful answers.

I’d make it bullet / grenade proof. 😀
I once had to make a hidden cabinet for a Russian arms deal to store “weapons “

sorry, didn't mean to be snotty.
hard to answer your question without knowing more though, is it as Rorschach says a giant church door or is it a normally house door? or worse yet a door for one of those rare air breathing sorts who's dad owns half of Kent?

For 30K, I would expect something really very very special. A bespoke substantial solid oak double door with side panels, all hand carved inside and outside. Have a look here, but bigger.

oak door.JPG

OK, fair comments.
sorry, didn't mean to be snotty.
hard to answer your question without knowing more though, is it as Rorschach says a giant church door or is it a normally house door? or worse yet a door for one of those rare air breathing sorts who's dad owns half of Kent?

No worries, it was just a theoretical question. I suppose I could have asked - 'tell me about solid oak doors that could and do cost 30k oak.'

A friend of my Father in Law had one made for 30k and I'm thinking, no way, 30k, how can that be justified!?

I'm on the beginning of my learning curve; I do about 10hrs a week on woodworking fundamentals so I thought it would be a good idea to knit my study so far with this query.

Here's what I could throw at it;

It's a UK project so;

English Oak

Big. 2 metres wide say, 2.5 metres tall with a curved (arched) top edge.

Thick - 4 inches?

No flat sawn cut, all quarter sawn (maybe all ridge sawn?)

Seasoned and rested on site for...a good amount of time...?

All hand made with hand tools, no electricity involved - ok, lighting lol

Bespoke chunky ironmongery.

I hadn't considered carving.

Free doorbell :)

Yes that's the kind of thing, thanks Sandyn. Double doors to a mansion.
I can understand why something like that can cost so much. It can look beyond spectacular and last hundreds of years. Hand carved oozing quality, but it really has to be done to perfection. Some people have that kind of money to spend on doors. If you have a few million in the bank, 30k on a quality door is nothing. It gives some artisan some good work and keeps that type of work alive. It's good.

This app is very useful
I currently have oak doors for sale
For only !!!£29k because of the situation we are all still in I could apply the January sale
Whitch is an unbelievable 10% of there if a vast amount left but sure they will go quickly with the applying discount get them while you can

Latest posts

Back