Mobiles and the wheel.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
From the Times about driving and mobile phones. Perhaps the last little bit is the most telling..."Quite clearly, people think they won’t get caught. Perhaps the fines should rise from the current level of £60 to something like £500 to £1,000.”

Concur :wink:...trouble is, there's no one to catch the perps - Rob

head clansman":2o2o18uj said:
hi

no, no. seize the vehicle ,cant use the phone behind the wheel then . hc :wink:

What about the folk who have absolutely no business being on the roads & must have got the license by collecting tokens on Cornflakes Packets? :wink:

woodbloke":3w4fwb7g said:
Oryxdesign":3w4fwb7g said:
Seize the phone there and then.
agreed...but by whom? - Rob

They will just go out and buy another one. IMHO, like drink driving, if you are caught using your mobile phone you should get an automatic 12 months ban. There are so many affordable hands free kits on the market that there is no excuse for having a phone in your hand.

My junior school teacher told me that I was an anti-authoritarian and in a lot of ways I am. I hit the roof when they first started talking about banning the use of mobiles, "Who the hell are they to tell me when I can talk on the phone I raged". But then on a number of occasions before this became law, I found that sometimes with mobile phone in hand, my driving concentration wandered, and was not as good as it should have been. I then found myself ageeing that it is dangerous. In fact I would go as far and say that even with a hands free kit, there are times, when deep in conversation, or arguing with someone, it too can be just as distracting.

Just my two pennies worth

I was talking on the phone while travelling once and it nearly got me killed. I happened to be walking at the time and I was deep in conversation when I crossed the road without looking properly. Fortuantely the driver was more awake than I was. I take a lot more care now.

There is something about talking on the phone which is more distracting than talking to another person in my experience. I'm not sure I would go as far as to ban hands free kits but how distracting they are should certainy be studied. There in no question that non-hands free is down right dangerous when driving.

On a slightly differing tack, in Bavaria being convicted for an offence relating to anything requiring a licence, be it fishing, hunting, driving, shooting etc. immediately puts you at the risk of being striped of all state licences, and subsiquently impounding of weapons etc.

As family members here have had to spend considerable time and money attending courses etc. to obtain said licences and equipment I see a remarkable desire to abide by all driving regulations, even Jay walking that can incur points.

Burn the vehicle with the driver still inside?
Haul them out and hang them by the roadside?
Make them eat the phone..?

C'mon guys - all it takes is a bit of imagination :D

I'm a mega low user £10 a quarter 50 quid phone,and yes i've answered and called while at the wheel,so you guys don't........ ever?
I take my hat off to you.

andycktm":37v0ml09 said:
I'm a mega low user £10 a quarter 50 quid phone,and yes i've answered and called while at the wheel,so you guys don't........ ever?
I take my hat off to you.

My usage is the same but even if I had a close family member on the point of death I don't see any reason to answer a mobile phone while driving because even if it's bad news, nothing going to change by waiting a few minutes until it's safe to do so.

How the hell did we manage before mobile phones?

Regards,. john

On the motorway I try to drive at a constant speed, and get overtaken by very fast cars.
A few miles down the road I often overtake them - they are driving much, much slower and with a phone stuck to their ear. Few minutes later, wham they are flying past you again! I suppose it's safer to be on the phone when travelling slower but I really think this shows that they are not concentrating on their driving and have not realised their speed has dropped?
But what really p***es me off is the drivers negotiating junctions and roundabouts with one hand stuck to their ear!

Rod

How do some drivers manage to type out a text message while driving? I can hardly manage it sitting in a chair and concentrating hard on which tiny key to press and how often to get a letter.

Brendan

As family and friends will testify, my attitude towards authority has left a lot to be desired over the years but using mobiles while driving.....grrrrrrrr! While on the subject, the greater proportion of culprits seems to be split between youngish, female 4x4 drivers and smartly dressed BMW drivers in the outside lane. From this statement, you musn't get the impression that I have a problem with young females (God forbid), 4x4's, smartly dressed folk and BMW drivers! :roll:

Harbo":1d9hjzmt said:
.....But what really p***es me off is the drivers negotiating junctions and roundabouts with one hand stuck to their ear!

Rod
The classic to date we have observed was a young mother leaving supermarket, being in the Grumpy old gits set at times we often comment on such to each other.

stoped at pedestrian crossing just out of the door to light cigaret.

struggled to put kiddy in back of car with smoke in her eyes and ensuring kiddy got the maximum benefit.

answered/used phone whilst leaving car park passing over said crossing/entrance.

came to halt halfway around exit traffic island as phone, seatbelt and cigaret maneuvers finally defeated her and car failed to guess which way to go.

then let out a mouthful of abuse to the driver who did an emergency stop to avoid her.

Mind you the guy in an articulated lorry reading a paperback book/map on the stearing wheel with phone in one hand negotiating a traffic island near Gloucester and deciding that attempting to enter the sliproad we were just leaving was probably not the correct maneuver was a little disturbing.

CHJ":2ek03po8 said:
Harbo":2ek03po8 said:
.....But what really p***es me off is the drivers negotiating junctions and roundabouts with one hand stuck to their ear!

Rod
The classic to date we have observed was a young mother leaving supermarket, being in the Grumpy old gits set at times we often comment on such to each other.

stoped at pedestrian crossing just out of the door to light cigaret.

struggled to put kiddy in back of car with smoke in her eyes and ensuring kiddy got the maximum benefit.

answered/used phone whilst leaving car park passing over said crossing/entrance.

came to halt halfway around exit traffic island as phone, seatbelt and cigaret maneuvers finally defeated her and car failed to guess which way to go.

then let out a mouthful of abuse to the driver who did an emergency stop to avoid her.

Mind you the guy in an articulated lorry reading a paperback book/map on the stearing wheel with phone in one hand negotiating a traffic island near Gloucester and deciding that attempting to enter the sliproad we were just leaving was probably not the correct maneuver was a little disturbing.

Reminds of the story of a woman who came out of a supermarket and was stalked by a couple :lol:

matt":3jzzlnxn said:
Reminds of the story of a woman who came out of a supermarket and was stalked by a couple :lol:

Very close :lol: unfortunately traffic delayed us at the island so much it caused us to miss the rest of her contribution to the days entertainment.

Back