Mobile Sawmills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zb1

Established Member
Reaction score
This year we are considering (getting once the cash is in the bank) expanding our workshop with a mobile sawmill for the resawing of oversize timbers, curve brace stock and even log conversion from the Arborists we share our yard with. The one thing I would really like to be able to know is whether there will be any additional work for it within about a 60 mile radius of sunny Sheffield (say Harrogate in the North, Leicester South, Liverpool West and Grimsby East) . It would be available for half and whole day hire with an operator and labourer. I wouldn't be looking to have it out every week but it would be good if we could get a bit of work for it on top of what we need it for. There doesn't seem to be anyone operating one in my area but I don't know if this is because there is a lack of demand or just no one knows they exist?

Any views would be appreciated. Ta

Zack
Have you checked out Arbtalk? There's a section fpr millers - might be worth a look.

Not wanting to dampen your fire, but I looked into doing this sometime ago, and having posted on arbtalk and a number of other forums, I got the impression that most arborists get more value ringing the wood for firewood than they do for having it planked up.

If you had a way of sourcing the butts for a decent price you might be able to make it work, but this was also one of the problems.

Trim, I'm in Runcorn and have a few local contacts, through my turning club. If it does happen and you need to share, I would interested (obviously depending on cost). Great idea zb.

I'm not too bothered if we don't have a lot of work for it as it will be used for resawing framing timbers from the spares pile and cutting curved brace slab from the tree surgeons we know. The workshop isn't big enough for a 4" blade resaw and running/installing a mill is probably cheaper anyway. There is also a lot of Larch grown around us that is easy to source so if needs be we can put it to work making fencing timbers and feather edge when we get down time. You're right about the firewood scenario though, we've got 75 m3 of the stuff drying for next years season as nearly everything the tree guys bring back is in <4' lengths. Seems a waste when you find 14" diameter walnut in the firewood pile. Maybe it's just a case of re-educating, mind you I haven't the room for a drying shed and kiln either so we'd be better off just milling at customers places.

Big boy's toys really, just would be nice to have a "reason" to give the wife for coming home with a sawmill.

Latest posts

Back