mobile saw mill - Lancashire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan

Reaction score
This is my first post after reading the forum for some time.

I have sycamore trunk/logs which I would like to get milled would any one know of a mobile saw mill in Lancs who could mill my logs? any names or numbers would be gratefully received

Welcome to the forum.

If you were in the Southeast I could give you several, hopefully someone more local will be along who can help.

Try "mobile sawmill" on google, turns up quite a few.

Jason

Try Richard Mellor in Sheffield. 0114 273 8135. I know that's Yorkshire, but he might be able to help. He has a WoodMizer he goes out with. The charge tends to be around £300- £350 a day for the services of most of these operations.

The trunk is likely to be the only section worth planking up. Sycamore needs doing quickly after felling and specially handled to prevent rapid discolouring mould growth that leads to major loss of value.

Branches usually contain reaction wood and are unlikely to yield usable timber. The exception to this are occasions where the first branching of the trunk results in a pair of limbs that grow near vertical yielding what's known as a second cut.

Anything that grows with a noticeable lean (trunk or branches) or growth of any sort that tends towards to horizontal is unlikely to be interest to either a sawyer or a furniture maker due to the earlier mentioned reaction wood content, i.e., instability. Slainte.

Latest posts

Back