Mobile phone screen damage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finneyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got expertise or experience?
Dropped my Motorola Moto E and the screen cracked and is only displaying on 50% of screen.
Worth repairing or not?

Tesco have the phone for £59

Brian

Depends on cost of replacement. Check ebay.
If it's a touch screen you'd need the LCD + digitizer.

Can be a pig to do.

I used to do iPhones for friends, but after the 4 came out I had enough, as they just became too much work - I could not be bothered with hot air guns to open them! I'm sure the Moto E would be a *little* easier but prepare yourself for a long evening as the first time especially is damn fiddly. If you are one to get frustrated quickly - move along. But if you do decide to try, pick up a kit such as: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazooli-iPhone- ... B008OOYD8O as the spudgers alone will be invaluable.

EDIT: Don't forget to take static precautions too - at least a wristband.

Monkey Mark":7pkmbis4 said:
I can send send you a wrist band if you pm your address.

Thanks, I'll put a hold on that offer, if I can.
I have emails out for a couple of quotes.

Brian

cjp":1xdgwfmt said:

Thanks, I would never have thought of static, although I should have when you hear of mobile phones causing fires on petrol station forecourts.

Brian

Have a look around the high street and market for a store that sells mobile phone cases they usually do repairs at very good prices.

john

finneyb":10buen2v said:
cjp":10buen2v said:

Thanks, I would never have thought of static, although I should have when you hear of mobile phones causing fires on petrol station forecourts.

Brian
Brian when has a mobile phone caused a fire at a petrol station? I've never heard of that before.

Stew

Baldhead":323ugxh5 said:
finneyb":323ugxh5 said:
cjp":323ugxh5 said:

Brian
Brian when has a mobile phone caused a fire at a petrol station? I've never heard of that before.

Stew

I've now Googled it and it looks like a myth, although the myth is widespread.

Brian

finneyb":381lmuau said:
cjp":381lmuau said:

Brian

The wrist band static precaution has nothing to do with sparks generated by telephone transmitter output.

The static wristband connected to a good earth point is to prevent any static generated by your clothing or furnishings damaging the semiconductors in the electronic device you are handling when you disconnect circuit terminations.

Chas,

Thanks for the info.

Think I may revert to the throw away society route - having hell of a job getting a quote - maybe I'll just buy a new phone at £59, I would expect the new screen fitted to be of the order of £40. The DIY route looks far to complex for the amount of money that I'd save.

Brian

Put the broken one in the cupboard with all the other stuff that's too good to throw out, then throw it out in a couple of years when you find it again.

That's what we do.

Shug

Back