ML7 cross slide question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyNC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to work out what units the cross slide micrometer wheel is in.

It is has 100 marks but when I hold a rule against it and turn it once it seems to move 2mm. Trying this in English did not give meaningful results.

Is it possible that each division is 0.02mm ie 8 thou?

Cheers

Andy

why not just take a one division cut and measure the difference as its is probably a multistart leadscrew

Wel...l....l.....l. The obvious answer is that you have a metric ML7, but post your question on the Myford lathes forum on Yahoo, and the experts will be buzzing around you in seconds

I did assume is was metric but I thought the division would have some direct relationship with movement instead of a ratio.
Done some test cuts but it doesn't stack up.

I did 3 separate 1 divisions cuts and got an average of 0.051/div on the diameter.
so 1 div is 0.025.
But if 100 div ( 1 turn) is 2mm that's 0.02/div.

This could be because of wear on the thread plus error in readings. I'll take a deeper cut and recheck.

Cheers

Andy

Its most likely a 10tpi leadscrew so one turn is 0.100" or 2.54mm, one div 0.001" or 0.0254mm which gives 0.0508mm off dia which is basically your 0.051mm average

Hi Jason,

That's a good correlation.

I'll do a few more test and see if 10tpi stacks up.
I may do them this evening but if I can't I'm off to sunny Crete for 10days on Tuesday so it'll have to wait until I'm back.

Cheers

Andy

Hi,

Had a few more minutes than expected.

It is definitely 1 div per thou.
I tried it against a rule and it correlates to 1 turn per 0.1". Also did some trial cuts.
Don't know how I missed that the first time I tried it. Must be the drugs or lack of.

Sunny Crete tomorrow. Yipee

Cheers

Andy

Latest posts

Back