MKII Power Sharpener

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseM

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought one of these and am pretty happy with it so far. I have been sharpening different blades to see if it could handle them all and it has so far. I had to build a little jig to sharpen a radius on my scrub plane blade, and it works great.

My initial sharpening of the LN 140 skew changed the angle on me. I tried sharpening it a second time last night and was able to fix the angle, but I noticed a problem with the front registering angle setter. When I first inserted and registered it against the front it tries to square it up assuming the blade is square, which is not always true. So I dragged it over and made sure the skew was set properly then took it back to the jig. Well now it was not registering to the front anymore. It took me a few tries to get it to both register to the front and have the skew set properly. And then I started to wonder why they hadn't used the side registering MKII hand hone style for this jig.

Another problem I noticed was if you apply vertical pressure on the clamp, square it up and then tighten the nuts the registering changes and it comes up a bit short almost everytime. This is hard to describe but it causes you to have to check to see if there is a gap after you tightened up the screws. If you fail to adjust for the gap then the blade will not be sharpening at the designated height. If at 30 degrees it may end up being like 27-28 degrees which is not a big deal, but it makes reproducibility a little difficult.

All this said the sharpener is really great. I can probably build a jig for the skew blade, as I made one for my MKII honing jig. I was just curious if anybody else had this sharpener and if they had made any mods to it or ran into any difficulties with it.

Latest posts

Back