Mitre sled.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Still making the two clocks, (WIP) but could never get the mitres in such small mouldings 'spot on', so I trawled the forum and the net and came up with this....

2uj6u0n.jpg

2434uf5.jpg

produced in my usual Paxolin and after a couple of false starts it looks as though I might yet get the two clocks finished for Christmas!

Roy.

That looks really handy, Roy. :) Only thing I don't like is the absence of a crown guard! :roll: :D

To be honest Olly I was that unsure as to whether I had got all the angles correct that I didn't bother for the trial runs, but during the practice shots it soon became clear that fingers could get uncomfortably close to the nasty sharp bit, particularly as I'm currently suffering a bout of vertigo.
Guard to follow! :lol:

Roy.

A local chap buys and sells everything Chris and a I bought a job lot from him. If you're after a specific size, and it's not too large to post, I'll send you a piece.

Roy.

Roy,
That is a very kind offer however, I was really asking for future reference as there are occasions when I have wanted some for a jig or odd job where the wear characteristics would be desirable. I have nothing at present that needs it.

Paxolin and Tufnol aren't the same thing wizer, Tufnol is cloth based Paxolin is paper based, and believe me the difference shows up when you machine the stuff. Tufnol's 'orrible to machine!

Roy.

I stand corrected, I was just going on what that site said.

I used to use Tunol in the aircraft industry wizer and I loathe it. It wears the tools, creates buckets of dust, and is altogether unpleasant to use IMO.

Roy.

Roy,
Thanks very much indeed.

Tom,
That is still a useful source, the UHMW plastics are great for some things and their prices don't look too bad.

Seems that I'm in error and that Jake is quite correct...

How Tufnol Sheet is made:
Tufnol Sheet is made by laminating layers of phenolic silicone or epoxy impregnated sheet and then compressing under heat and pressure to form a solid sheet. The individual layering sheets can be made from impregnated paper, woven cotton or woven glass fibre.

...we live and learn.

Roy.

It might that the cloth version is one of those Hoover like things, Roy for those with more of an engineering bent than me?

Digit":1vi95q4o said:
To be honest Olly I was that unsure as to whether I had got all the angles correct that I didn't bother for the trial runs, but during the practice shots it soon became clear that fingers could get uncomfortably close to the nasty sharp bit, particularly as I'm currently suffering a bout of vertigo.
Guard to follow! :lol:

Roy.
Digit !!! You should'nt be in there if your not sure vertigo..........Dangerous !

Agreed! That's why I normally guard everything and will be with this.

Roy.

Digit":20yaw7t3 said:
Agreed! That's why I normally guard everything and will be with this.

Roy.
Aye it'ls no joke Roy I think most of us get that feeling on straightening up to quickly which is just a hint of what your suffering so , steady as you go me hearty .

I have a similar problem Roy, if i stand up quickly or even just
turn around i go down like "Chubby" Brown's jokes in a convent. :)
I have narrowing of the veins/artery in my neck and am awaiting
surgery for it, I'm also waiting for neck/spinal surgery to remove
"spurs" which are digging into to my spinal cord, so no workshop time for me whatsoever. Hope you get the Vertigo sorted soon mate and get back
to the workshop. :wink:

I'm clear enough today to have spent some time in the shop Kev, but I limited myself to some hand work and sharpening some plane irons.
Like you I have a neck problem and I suspect the increasing frequency of attacks may have that as the cause.
The last twelve months have been devoted to overcoming the results of prostate cancer surgery and my vertigo put on the back burner but another visit to my GP is on the cards I think. Best of luck with the surgery BTW, I hope you don't have to wait too long.

Roy.

Back