Mitre saw extensions question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ59

Established Member
Reaction score
Daft question I know. :oops:
I have made extensions for both sides of my mitre saw, what I want to know, is it just personal choice which side the stop block goes when cutting multiple lengths of wood depending on whether your right or left handed?

that's one reason. Safety is another. I just find it more comfortable and therefore safer to do it one way and also because its not the goofy way, more accurate (if you're cutting to a line and not a stop block)

I see no reason for it to be anything other than personal preference to which side of the saw you stand on when cutting, i stand on the left and have my stop block right, it could be argued that i would have a better view and easier time if i had the stop block on the left but right just feels well... right. =)

Sam

I would be using the saw with my right hand. Which means I'm holding the work against the fence with my left hand, which means the stop block would be to the left of the blade.

paulrockliffe":3viyegsm said:
I would be using the saw with my right hand. Which means I'm holding the work against the fence with my left hand, which means the stop block would be to the left of the blade.

That's what I thought, that'll do for me.

Thanks everyone else.

It depends on what sort of cut I am making.
For normal cross-cutting, I have the workpiece to the left because I am right-handed and my saw is designed for a right-hander. Operating the blade-release lcok with the left hand is a bit tricky as I have to push it rather than pull.
But there are occasions, like today when I was mitring the end of a piece of skirting, I wanted the finish surface face up, the square end of the board against the fence, when I was mitring the left-hand end. That necessitated having the workpiece on the right.

My previous Bosch saw had a handle that could be turned for left or RH use, but this one does not accommodate lefties as well.

Back