Mitre/cut off saw recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ_1380

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

As a beginner, I am just researching mitre/chop off saws for a potential future purchase.

Having never owned one before, do people rate the machines in my price range? Realistically I have a budget of around £200-250 used or new. ideally, I'd like a sliding type one for crosscutting.

I am looking for something that will cut accurate cuts (nice and square) in both softwood for general joinery around the house, but also hardwoods for simple box/furniture making.

Basically I am asking; are models in this low price range accurate or would I be better saving my money for a dearer machine.

I would be chopping a fair amount, so doing it by hand is pretty much ruled out.

My circular saw is great for doing (rip cutting?), I mean long cuts with a straight edge for a guide. I now need a tool for (crosscut?) shorter cuts, across planks. I have tried using a guide and circular saw for this, but due to the lack of width of timber, its too hard to accurately mount my straight edge.

Any tips/recommendations of your experience will be greatly appreciated!.

Cheers

Russ

Hi,

I've built this style of jig:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/CircCrossCut&print=true
And found it most useful for crosscutting battens and planks. Use whatever scrap MDF/Ply you have. Dimension to suit the cutting depth of your circular saw and the widest plank you are likely to cut. Gives repeatable accuracy, and easy clamping. Takes a lot less space to store than a dedicated saw and leaves more money to buy wood :)

Good luck
Boz

As far as accuracy is concerned, DeWalt's DW712 model is claimed to be the most accurate saw they have made (I think it's tolerances are to within 0.1°?). With a 216mm diameter blade, it will cut a maximum of 70mm thick by 300mm in width, which should be plenty for most furniture making and second-fix work. At somewhere between £300-400 though, this may be out of your budget...

I know that at least one member of the forum is looking at buying the new 8" saw from Bosch. It's had very good reviews all round, although I think it may only cut 2" thick?

I own a big, 12" Bosch GCM 12 SD and, to be honest, I don't find it accurate enough... There's plenty of power but, I never cut anything more than 3" and it's much bigger than what I really need. That's why I'm thinking of one-day down-grading to the DW712....

Brilliant guys, keep 'em coming.

Fesy Kapex would be nice but I believe they are £900.... maybe one day...

I'm glad you mentioned your saw isn't accurate enough, thats the kind of 'experience' thats great for helping make up my mind. In terms of accuracy do you mean 90 degree cross cuts (i.e. saw cuts slightly off square?)

The circular saw guide is a good idea cheers, I'll maybe have a go at that following other peoples' suggestions.

Any more recommendations?

Cheers

The DW712 is the buy I ever made for the workshop - I paid £500 a few years ago but well worth the money even then.

Russ, all chop/sliding carriage mitre saws are basically designed for on-site carpenters, kitchen fitters and shop fitters. Which is why they're so portable, unlike say radial arm saws. This target user group also defines the accuracy that you can reasonably expect, which is carpentry standard not cabinet making standard.

There's only one exception to this rule that I know of, which is the Festool Kapex. It's factory calibrated to an accuracy of +/- 0.16 degrees on the mitre angle and +/- 0.50 degrees on the bevel angle. Furthermore it'll hold this accuracy if you move the saw from location to location, and comfortably exceed it if it's permanently bench mounted in one location.

Unfortunately, cabinet making accuracy on a sliding carriage mitre saw doesn't come cheap, and the Kapex costs over £900 even before you factor in spare blades or extension arms.

It's really about matching the tool to the application, there are lots of great chop and mitre saws which will give fine service for on-site carpentry work at a reasonable price. But if you're looking for a tool for a cabinet making workshop, and can't yet stretch to a Kapex, then you might be better advised putting the money towards a better quality bench saw with lots of quality second hand options. Where as I'd tend to be wary of a second hand chop/mitre saw.

Cheers lads, that's great.

I think I will resist the urge to buy one for the mo then, as they aren't cheap for me.

From what people have said I think I'll wait until I do more general joinery around the house before I buy one.

If and when I do decide to get one, I'll stick with hwat I know; Makita or DeWalt.

Thanks,

Russ

My suggestion would be a Dewalt 707. Can be had for £220 now, and after an initial setup, its stayed true for more than 3 years, checking weekly.
Reasonably capacity of 60 x 270, I use mine mainly for light pelmet, cornice, beading and a whole host of other trim work.
For mitres this saw is fantastic at the price.
I've also got a Kapex for workshop use, and find its accuracy virtually identical.

Matt

Back