Missing record 050 screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalbot

Established Member
Reaction score
I've eventually bought a Record No 050 from the bay but unfortunately it's missing the spur screws. By some miracle the spurs are still there. Does anyone know what the thread is so I can source something similar and cut them down to fit.
Thanks

I've been and had a look at mine to see if I can help. The screws you need are countersunk (to fit flush with the spurs and the skates) and also very short - too short to measure the threads. However, my tin of miscellaneous small screws yielded one which fits the hole. It's 36 threads per inch and 0.154" diameter, which I guess is probably a nominal 5/32" (=0.1562"). You're welcome to it if you want, but it's cheese head, so would not be much use, and I only have one. It's not a standard Whitworth size as far as I can see, but the fact that some time in the last 50 years I salvaged a screw of the same size must mean it was not a thread exclusive to plane makers!

At this point, the usual advice is to point out that the spurs on combi planes are often not much use when present, and suggest knifing your lines before planing, should you ever need to make cross-grain cuts.

Back