Mid-level Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gairym

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening folks,

I'm looking to get a new bandsaw and keen to hear from people with experience/knowledge of the various makes/models on offer.

I'm a (fairly new) cabinet maker (ex-joiner) willing to spend 2-3k for the right machine (see: gairy.co.uk for examples of what I'm making).

Height restriction is ~2m which is an issue.

Mostly detail curve work with semi-frequent thin laminate cutting and only occasional ripping.

So.....what would people recommend???

Thanks in advance for any help/advice...

Gairy.

When you say thin laminate work are you talking about sawing your own laminate because that requires a good bit of power. With your budget you can get a reasonably serious saw so dont stint yourself. As they say a big bandsaw can also cut small stuff but a small saw cant cut big stuff. I am not familiar with UK or EU brands but others will likely help you there.
Regards
John

If you have that sort of funds get two saws. One for curve and general work, and one for ripping and resawing.

Using one machine and having to swap blades for different work types is a pain and a job you can do without in a busy day. I'm lucky in that I have the space and appreciate others don't.

I bought a Startrite 502e (this was new but no longer available but they do come up from time to time)and Kity 613 (second hand and also come up from time to time). Both very capable machines. The Startrite is a powerful/sturdy brute and with a 3/4 or 1 inch Starret bimental blade, it will deal with anything you throw at it. I use it for ripping all wood types and resawing veneer. The Kity is great with a 3/8 blade and will do most curve and straight work very well. Both have been very reliable and cost effective to run. Both are 240v.

If I was to buy new it's worth looking at the Startrite 403 (Scot & Sargent have some deals on), Record Sabres series (Yandles have some deals on) and Luguna series (West countryMachinary4wood is a great place). All these machines have a great spec and these suppliers offer very good back-up service.

Good luck.

I would love two saws but I just don't have the space.

I have a tiny tiny workshop and the new saw I'll get well have to be on wheels so it can be wheeled out and back in order to maximise useable space.

I'm currently thinking of the Laguna 14BX which seems to get lots of good reviews.

I would love two saws but I just don't have the space.

I have a tiny tiny workshop and the new saw I'll get well have to be on wheels so it can be wheeled out and back in order to maximise useable space.

I'm currently thinking of the Laguna 14BX which seems to get lots of good reviews.
It certainly looks a great saw and has a good technical specification. The 220v is the one to go for and note the wheel set, mitre gauge and light are optional extras. I'm sure it will last a very long time. Be sure to spend time checking and setting it up so it's spot on. Check-out Alex Snodgrass's YouTube video on setting up a bandsaw - you wont regret it. Good luck.

The ceramic guides look interesting, there is a lot of talk when it comes to guides! the data is a bit misleading "

Recommended Breaker Size16 Amp
Power Cable1.8m with UK 3 pin plug

The breaker size is irrelevant if you have a 13amp UK plug, but at 1800 watts that is ok, my BS400 with a 2200 watts is also fine on a 13 amp plug.

Since you've got a very nice budget...

Italian or Italian design old Felder or ACM 440 (Felder 440 in the pictures)
That extra 40 mm wheel size denotes that they are a slightly better frame.
or even the last generation Centauro/SCM saws in a 400 size, (maybe still in production)
equally heavy, the newer ones all have extra tall frames as they made the wheel size equal to the resaw capacity.

Or failing that a Hammer N4400 which is about 30kg lighter than the ACM 40 series.
Pretty much all guides and other things on Italian design bandsaws interchangeable, Italian manufacturers all close to another, so share things like
guides, i.e the gl 456 series on some, with all having the same size guide post mounting shaft.
Stats on the ACM which is one of the best saws that size you can get,
Just to give you an idea on things.

Wheel Diameter440mm
Blade Speed1600 m/min
Motor Hp2Hp
Cutting Height320mm
Cutting Width410mm
Table Size420 x 580mm
Blade Length (min-max)3650 - 3700mm
Dimensions830 x 560 x 1860mm
Duct Extraction Outlets (120mm dia.)2
Net Weight200Kg

Felder FB 440 Bandsaw – Coast Machinery Group 5
Nice small footprint on that machine.
(edit: you can actually fit a 500mm machine under 2 meters)
So a large range of 20" Italian saws will fit the bill like ACM /Griggio STAR/SNA 500 and countless other manufacturers from Italy, Meber, Agazzani, Sagittario,Sipa to name but a few.
Tom

Last edited:
It certainly looks a great saw and has a good technical specification. The 220v is the one to go for and note the wheel set, mitre gauge and light are optional extras. I'm sure it will last a very long time. Be sure to spend time checking and setting it up so it's spot on. Check-out Alex Snodgrass's YouTube video on setting up a bandsaw - you wont regret it. Good luck.

Yeah, I watched it before trying to get my old Metabo bandsaw set up better but unfortunately it's just not up to the task.

Since you've got a very nice budget...

Italian or Italian design old Felder or ACM 440 (Felder 440 in the pictures)
That extra 40 mm wheel size denotes that they are a slightly better frame.
or even the last generation Centauro/SCM saws in a 400 size, (maybe still in production)
equally heavy, the newer ones all have extra tall frames as they made the wheel size equal to the resaw capacity.

Or failing that a Hammer N4400 which is about 30kg lighter than the ACM 40 series.
Pretty much all guides and other things on Italian design bandsaws interchangeable, Italian manufacturers all close to another, so share things like
guides, i.e the gl 456 series on some, with all having the same size guide post mounting shaft.
Stats on the ACM which is one of the best saws that size you can get,
Just to give you an idea on things.

Wheel Diameter440mm
Blade Speed1600 m/min
Motor Hp2Hp
Cutting Height320mm
Cutting Width410mm
Table Size420 x 580mm
Blade Length (min-max)3650 - 3700mm
Dimensions830 x 560 x 1860mm
Duct Extraction Outlets (120mm dia.)2
Net Weight200Kg

Felder FB 440 Bandsaw – Coast Machinery Group 5
Nice small footprint on that machine.
(edit: you can actually fit a 500mm machine under 2 meters)
So a large range of 20" Italian saws will fit the bill like ACM /Griggio STAR/SNA 500 and countless other manufacturers from Italy, Meber, Agazzani, Sagittario,Sipa to name but a few.
Tom

Just what I needed, more options! o_O

No, thanks and had given me a few more choices I'd not come across.

The Hammer N4400 it's on my list too.

They look pretty much identical, no?

Lots to think about and thanks for the intel...

Back