Micro Garage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JungleJim

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,
I'm in the early planning stages for a spring project and wanted to run it past you guys to see if what I'm planing seems feasible. or just ridiculous.

I have a classic car that I keep on my drive in one of these http://www.carcoon.com/carcoon-double-skin-outdoor Its a great bit of kit and has done a few winters but it's not quite the same as having a rigid garage. Now if I had the space on the side of the house I would build one, but I don't. I started thinking about building a micro garage customised to fit my car. This is is my first drawing of the type of thing i'm thinking about. I could drive in and open the door in the side so the car door could open so I could get in and out. and because its going to be designed specifically to my car it should be a little smaller than the carcoon that's there at the moment.

I was thinking I would make it in timber frame sections, but I'm not too sure what I would I would clad it in. I want to keep it a neutral colour like the carcoon thats there at the moment. Is plywood properly sealed and painted going to be good enough for both the sides and the roof, or am i opening myself up to problems? I've begun to look at waterproofing with fiber glass but I'm not sure if its feasible for something this size.

I've seen websites in the US where you can buy big sheets of fiber glass to make car transporters into enclosed transporters, but haven't seen anything like that here. and thats pretty much what I'm trying to achieve, an enclosed car transporter without the wheels.

So open to any suggestions and thoughts

Thanks

James

Glider trailers are often clad with aluminium sheet, widely available, and they sit outside all year round in windy places! Some use fibreglass sheet, but I don't know where they get it.

With full patina they're a dull grey, though they start shiny and take a few years to get there.

me+and+ftb+ka6cr+(2048x1536).jpg

(not me or my glider, but you get the idea).

Otherwise, pick your paint colour (but dark colours create an oven on sunny days so be careful).

And of course, you can have a curved top if you like.

Ah, thanks Chris, I hadn't thought of aluminium, I'll definitely check that out.

Thanks woodchips, I have seen those. they do make it quicker to get in and out than the Carcoon, but I worry what a big gust of wind would do.

plywood roof is a no no unless clad in something. roofing felt would be fine.
I used exterior plywood on the eves of my garage last summer, it was treated and protected with clear coat and all screw holes were sealed afterwards. water has still gotten in is delaminating the ply, wouldn't be able to see it if it was painted. you'll want more pitch on that roof too, else the centre of the boards will sack and retain water.

look for GRP or PVC paneling if you want to go that route, it's available. (note, 2 different things)

oh and be aware that it isn't going to be like the carcoon with it's nice dry air inside, it's going to get wet and it's going to be very dark in there and dank in there. :)

Maybe the structure could be studwork, then cover outside with breatheable membrane, then pin on 1" battens, then clad with some sheeting, say aly. That way you would have a cavity to help reduce condensation and any rain penetration.

The problem will be minimising condensation from forming, which wont be easy with a structure that is ground underneath and big variation of temperature from winter to summer and frosty nights to sunny days.

A friend of mine had an MX5 that he kept under one of those car covers. Water must have got in as the paintwork got covered in some form of mould spots that would not T cut out at all, in fact they went right through the colour coat. In the end he had the car re-sprayed!

Roof would need to be some form waterproof material like epdm.

Thanks for the advice guys.
sunnybob, I was planning to make a base out of 2x4 reinforced where it will take the weight. I was going to insulate it as well, was also looking to include a dehumidifier and heater to see if i can control the climate somewhat, but thats something I need to do a bit of research into.

I think you will have difficulty convincing your local planning authority and your neighbours that it isn't a permanent structure.

If you get through all the problems you are accumulating for yourself, a split air con (like in homes in sunny climates have) will give you automatic air, just like a new car has.

But I suspect this project will cost out to slightly more than the value of the car (assuming the car is really valuable)

Latest posts

Back