micro bevel on plane backs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippymart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just brought a Veritas honing guide and in the instructions it talks about putting a micro bevel on the back of a plane iron. Notice on Lie Nielson sharpening guide that they also put a bevel on the back using a rule placed on the stone to create a small angle.
Is this something that only the north americans do as I was always taught that it should be kept flat.
Is there any benefits from doing it this way? Be good to hear people's thoughts on this.
Cheers

Over here it is commonly known as the David Charlesworth ruler "trick"?
Though he always says he never really invented it?

Rod

Harbo":1ys8qowx said:
Over here it is commonly known as the David Charlesworth ruler "trick"?
Though he always says he never really invented it?

Rod
If you can find the very thinnest steel rule that you can...something less than a mm (mine is an old R&C one) and have the plane edge about 50mm away and parallel to it, the angle on the back, if you care to work out the trig, is about 0.3deg or thereabouts. This makes no effective difference to the honed angle on the bevel but it means that you don't have to flatten the entire back, merely a strip which is around 2mm wide on the back of the blade - Rob

Rod,

I do say I invented it, as a regular method of sharpening plane and other blades, on Japanese waterstones. (NEVER FOR CHISELS !!).

There are a few old timers who say it was a method used for rescuing badly pitted blades, and I don't doubt they are correct, though it was not a technique which I knew about.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

David C":2d3msxot said:
There are a few old timers who say it was a method used for rescuing badly pitted blades, .....
Not just a "few" it's just one of those things that anybody would hit upon as the obvious way to deal with a pitted blade if they were desperate to get on with the job. I don't suppose many would use a ruler though, as it's easy enough freehand.
The most common face/flat bevel is of course the "nano" bevel achieved by flattening the face on a stone but maintaining more pressure towards the edge, even putting upwards pressure on the other end. I think almost everybody does this without thinking about it at all - to see the result you only have to look at the face of most old plane blades to see that they get shinier towards the edge. "Nano" bevel is also how chisels are always sharpened with the same result - shinier towards the edge (visible on old chisels, you might not see it on new ones.)

David C":sgmg7vm8 said:
Rod,

I do say I invented it, as a regular method of sharpening plane and other blades, on Japanese waterstones. (NEVER FOR CHISELS !!).

There are a few old timers who say it was a method used for rescuing badly pitted blades, and I don't doubt they are correct, though it was not a technique which I knew about.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Speaking as someone who reads a LOT of older material, I've never seen this technique described prior to DC.

Of course, it's very difficult to prove a negative.

BugBear

bugbear":3mgr1kqp said:
Speaking as someone who reads a LOT of older material, I've never seen this technique described prior to DC.

You obviously didn't know about the "nano" bevel........ :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

bugbear":1xhi3r6u said:
David C":1xhi3r6u said:
Rod,

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

BugBear
I've never seen a description of nose-blowing techniques. Doesn't stop a lot of people doing it.

bugbear":3gi6dikq said:
David C":3gi6dikq said:
Rod,

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

BugBear

Back in 1975 i was instructed by my grandfather in this method. the reason he gave was it simply came down to speed when he was on site and its something i have always done.But I have always just done it free hand with a few passes on an oil stone

RogerBoyle":o0xvnt4m said:
bugbear":o0xvnt4m said:
David C":o0xvnt4m said:
Rod,

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

BugBear

Back in 1975 i was instructed by my grandfather in this method. the reason he gave was it simply came down to speed when he was on site and its something i have always done.But I have always just done it free hand with a few passes on an oil stone

Are you talking about having a nano-back-bevel, or creating it in a controlled fashion via a metal ruler (or some mixture of the two) ?

I'm not quite clear on what you (and your grandfather) are/were doing.

BugBear

I'm talking about controlled fashion but without the ruler. I guess Roger is too. You just lift the blade a touch. It should be clear - it's bleedin obvious!

bugbear":11zfz2db said:
Are you talking about having a nano-back-bevel, or creating it in a controlled fashion via a metal ruler (or some mixture of the two) ?

I'm not quite clear on what you (and your grandfather) are/were doing.

BugBear

Lifting the blade up in a controlled fashion....Sorry but What is hard to understand about that ??
Prior to setting up my Kitchen business I used to make my living working mainly on sites however Unlike some I did take pride in my work, Even though virtually all my work was carried out on a price..
Things like Sharpining planes and chisels were done on a constant basis but they were done quickly and by hand on an oil stone
any tricks like putting a slight back/micro/nano and any other kind of bevel were employed to speed the process up

Roger

Back