MFT Tops, Sit In, Flush, On Top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
I am having a think about some modifications to my current MFT table. I'll probably scrap the current frame and build another using MDF and include some T Track channels on at least two sides.

My current MFT top sits inside the frame and is proud of the frame by about 3 mm. I have three options?

1. Make the new frame similar and have the MFT top proud 3 mm as it is now
  2. Make a frame and sit the MFT top flush with the frame top (more work but doable)
  3. Just sit the MFT top on the top of a smaller frame so the edges of the MFT top are flush with the sides
Anyone else trodden this path, and what did you end up with ?

J

My old table had option 1. And I'm in the process of making one with option 3.

I can't personally see any pros or cons either way, I can't remember my thought process the first time around but this time it was just based off the materials I had available and the overall dimensions I was aiming for.

I suppose one consideration is how you plan to attach the top to the frame, I've gone for deeply countersunk screws in the new table just to minimise the risk of hitting one with the track saw but you might be able to come up with something more elegant. My old top was a snug friction fit in its frame with battens underneath to sit on.

If you want to make it even more usable then add a front apron, this gives you the ability for 90° corners and holding stuff in the vertical. Look at this concept from Microjig and you can see the holes run along the top and down the front apron and the matchfit slots are another option which I use for clamping and all sorts of jigs.

I have been a bit of research and I think 3 mm proud is my best option. I'll fit a sacrificial panel for cross-cuts with the Circular Saw and this seems the most compatible configuration.

Yes, twice. Cock up the first time, no overhang.
IMHO needed for clamping the track to the top.
Other considerations. Guess whereabouts on the top you're likely to poke clamps through... and DON'T put the supports there (yes, I did).
If you're going to slide into using it as a second worktop, make sure it's sturdy enough. As an MFT it doesn't need to be. As a worktop, it does. I have braces (6x1/2) on front - used to store the clamps.
HTH

Back