Metal Runners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, firstly, I'm not starting a fight here, saving that for the next bash down south! :D

We know that metal, full-extension drawer runners are:
1) Cheap
2) Efficient
3) Robust
4) Ugly

I would like to gather opinions on the alternatives, in fact if there's any interest I might start a competition to find the best alternative, bottle of champagne for the winner?

Aidan

ps - hidden metal runners are disqualified from the outset

why have you disqualified the under mount sort - I would be very interested to know if there are different variations of these and what people think to them...

Miles

I think it would be interesting to see the lengths (and hopefully successfully) people have gone to in order to hide metal runners.
As far as I can tell they are the best thing for drawers which need to hold some weight but it'd be good to see alternatives.

miles_hot":1k92n92q said:
why have you disqualified the under mount sort - I would be very interested to know if there are different variations of these and what people think to them...

Miles

the blum ones are good - but blinking expensive.

the cheap ones are, as you would probably expect, cheap and nasty

I think you can use most full extension drawer runners as under mount but they won't hold as much weight. The blum stuff looks complicated to install as well.

the hafele under mounted are easily as good as the blums in my opinion and a bit cheaper. Still £20-25 pair tho.

I would like to gather opinions on the alternatives

Without knowing what you actually want to use them for its hard to suggest a suitable alternative eg draw size, loading, use, carcase construction, budget, etc

Jason

Personally, I do not like metal runners. I would much prefer to use wooden runners for drawers. That said, there are times when you need full access to the whole drawer which is something that is not easy to do in wood alone. Only full extension metal runners will do the job (although I understand it is possible with wood but probably well beyond my skill level).

My personal preference is wooden runners but only if it makes sense to use them.

Bob

I often give my customers the choice.

A: Concealed runners that will give a super-smooth action, will never need maintenance, will never stick and which will allow access to the whole drawer.

B: Integrated wooden runners that will look "traditional" but have all of the disadvantages which are the opposites of the above.

If the customer plumps for A, I always use Hafele concealed runners (same as Blum but without the rear height adjuster).

For me it's a no-brainer. "Purists" may be horrified, but for me combining traditional cabinet making with modern inventions (from metal runners to Dominoes!) is a perfectly sensible approach if you want to provide customers with functional, long-life, and most importantly cost effective furniture.

Hand made wooden full extension runners are all very well but it's nice to make a profit every now and again....

I am currently scratch building my own kitchen and have just installed 14 pairs of Blum drawer runners. In not having ever fitted them before, they take a bit of working out, and this needs to be done before you make the drawers.

Although they are brilliant, I was disappointed :( that I had to lose 25mm on drawer depth but only 12 mm on the width. :)

In saying that, I would fit them again. :)

Mark.r

Well, I'm looking at this purely from a hobby perspective, and I've nothing too huge against metal runners in the right context, I was just floating the idea of a design/build competition to make a full extension drawer runner and have a prize for most stylish, highest load, etc...

Aidan

big soft moose":tmu5a5eo said:
. . . the blum ones are good - but blinking expensive.

From Isaac Lord the standard 500mm full extension concealed runners start at £15 a pair which I don't think is too bad when you look at how welll they are made. The ones with blumotion (soft close) start at £25.50. Hafele ones with soft close start at around £22.00.

I personally don't think that these prices are particularly expensive especially when you consider, as Ross has already pointed out all of the advantages of this system.

promhandicam":2qrb0s2c said:
big soft moose":2qrb0s2c said:

From Isaac Lord the standard 500mm full extension concealed runners start at £15 a pair which I don't think is too bad when you look at how welll they are made. The ones with blumotion (soft close) start at £25.50. Hafele ones with soft close start at around £22.00.

I personally don't think that these prices are particularly expensive especially when you consider, as Ross has already pointed out all of the advantages of this system.

yeah fair point - all i meant was that they are pricey compared with the standard fugly side mounted metal runners

Having fitted many of the undermounted runners, mostly Hettich, I think they are probably more economical than the side mounted ones. Once you have got the hang of them the greter adjustability of them makes fitting a lot quicker. The last time I used the side mounted runners to try to reduce the cost of the job I regretted it as I lost time fitting them.

The other attraction of these runners is the soft close or push to open facilities, which customers seem to like, which you can't do without metal runners.

Chris

I can't understand anyone narrow-minded enough to exclude metal runners because they are made of metal (and plastic etc). Whatever suits the job.

This isn't the C19 and as far as I'm concerned there isn't the slightest reason to pretend that it is just to get some sort of validation from rule-bound backward-looking stick-in-the-muds.

Hyphen-tastic.

promhandicam":2m3mx7aw said:
big soft moose":2m3mx7aw said:

Are you dealing direct with hafele steve? These ones which are made by grass in austria are about £11 plus vat if you get 10 at a time.
http://www.hafele.co.uk/Hafele35a1/imag ... 7_4-12.pdf

I use them if cost is an issue otherwise i use the blums.

cheers

jon

JonnyD":25clxx0p said:
Are you dealing direct with hafele steve? These ones which are made by grass in austria are about £11 plus vat if you get 10 at a time.
http://www.hafele.co.uk/Hafele35a1/imag ... 7_4-12.pdf

I use them if cost is an issue otherwise i use the blums.

cheers

jon

Hi Jon. Yes I've got an account with Hafele. The ones you link to are single extension and as you say get cheaper the more you order. I can't see anywhere what the actual extension is on these - do you have any idea say for a 500mm nominal length runner?

Cheers,

Steve

Back