Metal Paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
I do a bit of tool restoration, mostly old drills, vices, planes, etc from car boots. After using white spirt and a lot of wire brushing to get the crud off, I have been using hammerite spray and brush on paints.

Is there anything significantly better/cheaper that does not require a lot of skill to put on? (my painting still very inconstant).

Hi

I've had very good results using Japlac enamal - with a good brush you can get a finish to rival a sprayed one.

Regards Mick

Does QD90 need a primer? I know Hammerite doesn't which I've used before.

John

Edit Just checked myself and it does need a primer.

I should ask too, where do you get good brushes from? Alls the ones I have had from local shops have been pretty rubbish... bare in mind I cannot justify spending a lot on brushes and they need to be small.

Are these suggestions easy to get results from? My painting skills are not great.

If you go to your local motor factors who mix paint for garages they will do a paint called quick dry machinery enamel. It should cost around £10 a litre for any colour mix you wish. It comes as a gloss finish but i like to get it semi gloss for my machine restos. You will need synthetic thinners to clean brushes. It is best with a zinc primer. A little goes a long way.

wallace":cr6gb9kd said:
If you go to your local motor factors who mix paint for garages they will do a paint called quick dry machinery enamel. It should cost around £10 a litre for any colour mix you wish. It comes as a gloss finish but i like to get it semi gloss for my machine restos. You will need synthetic thinners to clean brushes. It is best with a zinc primer. A little goes a long way.
I don't know wheremy local one of those is, do you know one in Norwich?

I am guessing from the link there that you restore industrail machines?

wallace":3582o70h said:
Yes I like to mess around with old lumps of iron. A quick search brought up these guys http://www.smithandallan.com/products/v ... l-colours/

Tractol/Tekaloid is great stuff if you don't mind the drying time and don't have a dusty workshop, the dust just sticks to it and you can't sand that paint (well, you can, but you can't polish a shine into it). You also need a quality brush to apply it without streaks - one for the experts, which I am not!

Whether you are painting ferrous metal or galvanized metal, the key to a successful job is preparing the surface for the prime coat.

Latest posts

Back