Metal Fixings in Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spax SS Torx head all the way no problem and I have used thousands over the years in green oak and seasoned

Hmmm

I have an oak framed barn that dates back to around 1650. There are a lot of steel bolt fixings here and there that I would guess are are at least 150 years old and maybe much older. Some of these are seriously heavy duty pin hinge fixings and there is maybe 5mm to 10mm of black staining around them and a lot of rust, but the 200kg approx doors have not fallen off......

Most likely. I THINK henry Bessemer was the first to convert iron to steel, and I THINK that was in the late 18th century. May be wrong on both though, and of course we're talking industrial quantities, I've no doubt that the theory of turning iron into steel (basically removing as much carp as possible, especially carbon) was well known before, and no doubt local blacksmiths could do it in small quantities and to a certain extent, well before Bessemer (or whoever)

Thanks for your recommendations I think I should be able to find something suitable now.

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back