metabo SXE450 ROS - how hot should it get?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanG

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought the above to do a specific sanding job, removing plaster sealer prior to tiling (don't ask :x ).

I ran it for 20 minutes on Friday, and about 2 hours today, 45ish minutes stints with a 20 minute break inbetween. 60 grit at full speed on the coarse 6mm setting.

The sanding pad sheared off - and when I checked the motor housing and the allen bolt were very hot. The pad had melted off the retaining disk.

Have I run it too hard? or is this a dodgy one?

For the price and rating of this unit I was expecting to be able to use it all day long without a problem - do any of the others owners of this ROS in the group find theirs getting hot?

Sean

Never had a problem with mine getting hot.

You could be applying too much presure to compensate for worn sanding discs, how often are you replacing them?

What did you seal the plaster with thats causing the problem, I do quite a bit of tiling so may be able to suggest something.

Jason

If it was a cheapy one i would say you might have overworked it but Metabo should be at least trade rated and should be fine for what your doing, even if you have stressed it a bit. I would have thought it would have burnt out or started smelling like its about to before anything starts shearing off. Take it back if its still under warranty

:oops: I might of been pushing quite hard.

The plaster was sealed with dulux plaster sealer. I got a bit confused with the various instructions (lots of rooms have just been plastered). The kitchen fitters said the plaster must be sealed - so all the plaster we could find got sealed. As it turns out - silicone will only adhered to sealed plaster (hence why the kitchen people said to do it - glass splash backs). When the tiler turned up to do the bathroom he looked at the sealed walls with horror and didn't want to tile onto the sealed plaster with the big tiles we got as the tile adhesive wouldn't stick to the layer of sealer on top of the plaster - :shock:

I used the same disk for the 2 hours I used it and although the grit was dulled by then it wasn't clogged.

I think I'll try running it for 10 or so mins tomorrow and see how hot it gets without being under load

SeanG":21i20lx7 said:
:

I used the same disk for the 2 hours I used it and although the grit was dulled by then it wasn't clogged.

Althogh it was not clogged I doubt there were any sharp edges left on the bits of grit, change every 15mins max

Not used the dulux sealer but if it is PVA based then I can understand why the tiler was not happy, PVA and tiles don't mix :(

JAson

sean, the same thing happened to me with mine.did you buy it new, if so have you had it under 2 yrs, if so phone metabo and they will fix it f.o.c.
i got mine off car boot £10.00, all they asked for was the model number, took it to a dealer in wakefield and they replaced the moter and gave me another 2 yrs warranty. well chuffed.

It's brand new, the reason I haven't send it straight back is because I'm not sure if I overused it or not.

I'm getting a new pad today and I'll try again with disk changes every 15 mins :oops: :oops:

It's definitely the machine - I ran it for ten minutes with a new sanding pad and a fresh disk - not pushing hard. The allen bolt holding the sanding pad on was almost too hot to touch (but hot enough to make my finger a bit sore :-({|=

I'll call the supplier today.

Back