Memory foam mattress

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erik

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
What do you think is the best base for a memory foam mattress?
Im thinking solid and rigid 19mm ply but maybe it should be springy slats such as the ones from ikea mentioned in a previous thread
Ideas please
Regards
Erik

Erik, not sure if your referring to an earlier post (months ago) from me, but it depends on what you mean by a memory foam mattress - mine 'La Romantica' has 2" of memory foam and a spring coil core (not just latex and memory foam). The weblink states this can be on 3"spaced slats but when I spoke to the supplier he recommended 1" spacing.

I bought my mattress from this site (only linked as it has a good description of the mattresses, spring types and indicates what type of base should be used). From a quick look it would seem that foam only are on a solid (platform) base or sprung edge.

http://www.bedlum-beds.co.uk/section/0/Mattresses

btw I've no commercial links etc. with that website. I did a lot of research before buying, and bookmarked it as a very useful reference.

Dave

erik":3bbsjd05 said:
Hi
WhaC:\Users\Patrick Baxter\Pictures\FURNITURE\Furn Pics\TaylorBed.5.jpgt do you think is the best base for a memory foam mattress?
Im thinking solid and rigid 19mm ply but maybe it should be springy slats such as the ones from ikea mentioned in a previous thread
Ideas please
Regards
Erik

Erik
I cant comment on the ikea slats although I bet they are cheap ; I get beech laminated sprung bed slats from hafele ( http://www.hafele.co.uk/Hafele35a1/Temp ... =furniture ) complete with little plastic holders . I buy the ones for a single bed even if its for a double, 2 sets of 25 down each side and build a central rail into the frame down the length of the bed. You cut the rails to length to suit, I think they are around 900-1000mm long. The slats can be fixed in position but I supply them loose and they sit nicely even unpinned and I say to my customers to experiment with how many slats they want - 25 is plenty per person / side and they will usually take a few out. Moreover, 1 partner can choose to have their side stiffer than the other this way, and you can make a certain area firmer if you want as they dont have to be spaced evenly. My customers have been very happy with this set up, regardless of what kind of mattress they have.

TaylorBed.5.jpg

Pat

Attachments

• TaylorBed.5.jpg
    TaylorBed.5.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 97
Pat - they are the same type I used (think I got mine from woodfit or issacllord) and in a queen size bed the same technique of single slats and a middle bar

thanks guys, thats very useful. i never thought of adjusting the number of slats to alter the stiffness :idea:

erik":3iqkt28k said:
thanks guys, thats very useful. i never thought of adjusting the number of slats to alter the stiffness :idea:

yes, you can even add two slats together (one on top of the other) to increase it further - the correct joiner piece was on the website that I bought my slats from (i never got any of them so don't know how effective they are). It makes sense if someone sits up in bed a lot, as all the weight is on a few slats.

Back