Memory card recovery, help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tris

What am I doing here?
Reaction score
Good evening all,

Daughter's phone has thrown a wobbly and won't recognise the (fairly new) memory card. Using chkdsk on the desktop tells me the data is in raw form.

Can anyone recommend a good tool to try to recover whatever information we can?

I'm pretty tech illiterate so the simpler the better.

Thanks in advance,
Tris

I've used Dr.Fone in the past with success. Reasonably easy to use with the phone plugged into your desktop or laptop. There is a free / trial version but quite limited as far as I recall but the paid up version isn't too expensive. I think it can format raw data but not sure.
YMMV.

PS- have also used Revoverit but can't remember much about it.

Last edited:
If it is in a "raw format" and it is anything like the raw formats used by cameras then they are proprietry to the OEM, I used to save using Adobe Raw formats simply because it is an open source format and your data was safer / more future proof. I have used some Wondershare products when I was looking into Android devices for GPS before I concluded it was not a good OS.

I know nothing about phones but for Windows Testdisk is the recommended free recovery programme.
- TestDisk
Also look at PhotoRec on the same page.

Edit: runs under
  • DOS (either real or in a Windows 9x DOS-box),
  • Windows / Windows Server
  • Linux,
  • FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
  • SunOS and
  • MacOS X

You could try "RescuePro" I have used it many times on different sd cards and their contents.

Maybe copy the data file as it is to your laptop and don't muck it about. Then you have a safe backup in case something goes wrong in your data recovery

Good evening all,

Daughter's phone has thrown a wobbly and won't recognise the (fairly new) memory card. Using chkdsk on the desktop tells me the data is in raw form.
First and most important question. Did you buy a premium priced brand name memory card.

If the answer to this is no then there is a reasonable chance that the memory reported does not exist.
The less expensive the card the more likely that it is lying to you and any software You may have.
If indeed it was a cheap card there is probably no way of getting any data back.

My signature line for a long time was.

There are users who backup their data and there are those haven’t lost important information yet.

Which kind of user is your daughter?

The card was Samsung, mid range or so I thought.

I've tended to use SanDisk in the past with reliable results, including recovering accidentally deleted pics although that was so long ago I don't recall the software we used.

Daughter definitely fell into the latter category, even after many reminders, so maybe a useful lesson learned:confused:

There's a program called Piriform Recuva that might do the job, it was free ths last time I looked (several years ago though).

The card was Samsung, mid range or so I thought.

I've tended to use SanDisk in the past with reliable results, including recovering accidentally deleted pics although that was so long ago I don't recall the software we used.

Daughter definitely fell into the latter category, even after many reminders, so maybe a useful lesson learned:confused:
The name on the card means nothing, all names of cards have been been used.

The price paid for the card and the place bought are important.

There are no cheap, real, branded, memory cards.
There are more expensive cards with lower density, higher capacity, faster chips.
There are less expensive higher density, lower capacity, slower chips.
The range goes on down

Then at the bottom there are the truly ridiculous capacity even more ridiculous priced chips, I bought one (MI branded) just for fun knowing that it would be a disaster but it is even worse, the capacity is 2TB the price about ฿100, I estimate that to write all the advertised data will take months or years then checking it the same time and retrieving it the same again and that is presuming that the chip can even hold the data and hasn’t been programmed with fake numbers

Latest posts

Back