Mega Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNC Paul

Established Member
Reaction score
I heard on the grapevine that Festool are making a mega domino joiner, all features of the initial domino joiner except it bores dominos up to 14mm and nearly 125mm long, The machine still fit in a systeiner 2 but it bore about 75mm deep into the stock.

First post: good news, that would be a good tool. (although if the small one cost over £500... big one over a grand!?!

Second post: Terrible news, De Walt already ruined one good tool manufacturer (Elu), they're bound to do it again

Luke

I really like the Domino and nearly bought one on Saturday in Axminster but am seriously struggling to understand why it is sooooo ridiculously expensive. I mean its just a new and improved BJ ;-) Yes it can do a lot more as you guys have shown.

I guess Festool got a great copyright agent on to it so unlikely to see anything similar or cheaper for say the next 30 years or so. A bit like the original BJ.

If it'll cut 75mm deep then, you've got to question the need for a tenonner (and mortiser) in the average pro cabinetmaker's workshop! The new Domino could cost as much as £1,000 and, for that reason, it would still represent outstanding value.

Perhaps this will grant the rest of us an opportunity to pick one up second-hand on the cheap, if all the current owners decide to upgrade? :twisted:

Sounds like a logical move to me. Pricing i guess is down to competition and perceived utility - until there are alternatives you pays your money...

ian

OPJ":v77xl25f said:
If it'll cut 75mm deep then, you've got to question the need for a tenonner (and mortiser) in the average pro cabinetmaker's workshop! The new Domino could cost as much as £1,000 and, for that reason, it would still represent outstanding value.

Perhaps this will grant the rest of us an opportunity to pick one up second-hand on the cheap, if all the current owners decide to upgrade? :twisted:

Agreed, even tho i'd resent paying it, i still would, with no doubt in my mind it was worth it.

As for picking up second hand models. I'd bet my life a new one would do large cuts but not take the smaller (4,5,6) cutters. Meaning you's need/want both

I wonder what the weight will be like? The current model is hefty enough at 6kg. But if a systainer can contain a tool that does the job of a machine that would otherwise have a 1 sq m footprint, then I can see the appeal.
S

Sounds good but would go against what they've been saying about using gangs of dominos for the same effect?

Yes, but you'll have an increased depth of cut and tenon length for larger joinery. :wink:

If this is true then I'd buy one if it was under 1k. It would solve all my M&T joinery needs, forever I'd think. The only issue, as Steve pointed out, would be weight. I wonder if it might have a feature where it could be held to a work surface.

Actually I nearly bought a Domino on eBay today. I got outbid at the last minute, thank got. Not sure where I was going to find £400 :lol:

Seems its true:

Secondly the mega domino joiner, all features of the initial domino joiner except it bores dominos up to 14mm and they are like 5" long, you can join 3 pieces of 2x2 stock with a single domino, these things were massive along with the bits. The machine still fit in a systeiner 2 but it was so cool it bore about 3" deep into the stock. the rep said that the mega domino will go for 900$ and the entire set with the starter kit and dominos will go for 1500$

Put me down for one!

I am frequently asked for bespoke joinery items such as hardwood internal and external doors. I turn this business away as I am simply not geared up for making big mortice and tenons. The same really goes for dining tables of any size.

A mega Domino would pay for itself in weeks. Bring it on!

Brad

Sounds a good idea, but if the make the Domino much bigger, we'll have to mount them on a stand...

Now, what do they call those things? Ummmm... Oh yes... I remember...

A Morticer!

I only just decided I might use a domino.. but if DeWalt take them over, they go the same way as Elu. (All of which I still use). In that case, I'll stay with the router and a spiral-upcut bit.

:D

John

ondablade":350hlszj said:
Sounds like a logical move to me. Pricing i guess is down to competition and perceived utility - until there are alternatives you pays your money...

ian

Ian,

I don't think there will be an alternative.
I believe Festool patented the Domino's cutting mechanism.

So all you are left with is a larger biscuit jointer, or some kind of miniature chain-morticer.

John

:wink:

On other forums they are calling it Domzilla as they people who have seen it say its huge!

Back